cooking on a jotul 3 CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kathi

Oct 7, 2015
oklahoma
Can I cook on an enamel-coated 3CB? I've read that I can but the enamel will scratch unless I put down a piece of something (?). Have you tried this? Will I be able to boil water with (or without) the something? I am less concerned about scratching the enamel than I am about being about to boil water. (I found a good deal on a used 3 CB, otherwise I'd go with straight cast iron.)

Can I cook on an enamel-coated 3CB? I've read that I can but the enamel will scratch unless I put down a piece of something (?). Have you tried this? Will I be able to boil water with (or without) the something? I am less concerned about scratching the enamel than I am about being about to boil water. (I found a good deal on a used 3 CB, otherwise I'd go with straight cast iron.)
Yes it's possible but if there is a spill or boil-over there's a good chance or cracking and ruining the top enamel.

Hi Kathi. For the Jotul enamels, need to be careful not to mar them (the Ivory gets its' feelings bruised easily.... tends to chip the easiest). If you are cooking on the stove, use a trivet on the stove and put some self adhesive glass gasket on each of the trivet's legs to not have metal on the enameling. You'll still need to take care like BG advised on boilovers etc. I'd caution about cooking on it but if you have to, you certainly can with precaution.

Not to mention, you have to have a pretty small pot to stay on the durned thing, especially if the stove pipe comes out of the top, but definitely doable.

Hello,
I've got a jotul 3 cb cast iron, pipe coming out the top and the tea kettle fits on top. Left side works best. Double insulated excel pipe. I wonder if the enamel could be removed with a chisel and stainless scrubby so you could have a cup of tea.

Water is not so much an issue as say a pot of beans. A kettle will work fine. Just stay on top of it and pay attention when it starts to boil. Or use a high walled pot that is only filled halfway with water so that it can't boil over.

Hi.. Could you get a sheet of the same ceramic glass that stove windows are made from, have it the same size as the entire stove top and just put it there when you need it? Might be a bit of an OTT solution, but at least you have no scratch or spillage worries.

A sheet of steel would probably work better as long as one caught the spillover before it creeped around the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.