Cooking on the Buck 91??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2010
SW IN
Has anyone tried this?

Barb, I say try it. You may see some wear/discoloration on the areas you place the pot/pan on the stove, but you can fix that next spring, when the stove goes cold. I've made some gnarly chile and stews on my old stove last year, just had to simmer them longer than I would've on a real stove top. My new stove doesn't get as hot on top, but I can cook on it if the power goes out, if I really had to. (Now going back to a previous thread, maybe smoking some bacon, a haunch of beef, some jerkey, or........I'm teasing.) %-P ....if you can use the heat to cook or even make coffee, go for it. 100 yrs. ago, what would your ancestors have done with that heat source? Just asking.

Beetle-Kill said:
Barb, I say try it. You may see some wear/discoloration on the areas you place the pot/pan on the stove, but you can fix that next spring, when the stove goes cold. I've made some gnarly chile and stews on my old stove last year, just had to simmer them longer than I would've on a real stove top. My new stove doesn't get as hot on top, but I can cook on it if the power goes out, if I really had to. (Now going back to a previous thread, maybe smoking some bacon, a haunch of beef, some jerkey, or........I'm teasing.) %-P ....if you can use the heat to cook or even make coffee, go for it. 100 yrs. ago, what would your ancestors have done with that heat source? Just asking.

As a child we used to make fudge in an iron skillet; pop corn, etc. on the old stove that sat in the living room. My new insert sticks out several inches onto the hearth .... nothing like the old stove top however ..... I'm just not certain it will get hot enough to cook anything. Just wondering if any others had any luck with it.

hello boozie!! thanks for the reply with the suggestions.
as far as cooking on the stove goes, what are you waiting for?? i bought a used stove in the 90's and when i asked if "they" ever cooked on it i was told that one year during thanksgiving, the power was out and the entire meal was cooked on the wood stove! not only kept everyone warm, but fed, also!
myself, have only cooked chili and pizza on the stove this year. results were good. i have also used the stove to heat up sandwiches...resulting in toasted bread and a warm sandwich!

brings to mind a poor joke. what kind of cook are you??? a religious cook. How's that?? well, everything i make is either a burnt offering or a sacrifice!

good luck. see you at the hearth.com summer picnic! yooperdave

I'd just stick a thermometer there to see how hot it gets, or set a pan of water to see if it'll boil. You may be limited by the max temperature, but undoubtedly there's something that'll cook there.

I cooked a good bit on my buck 21, key to getting the stove top hot enough was to cut the blower off. Once you get cooking use the blower to regulate the heat.. It should cook along nicely especially dead over the cat thermometer..

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.