Cool days = productive days.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It has been a very mild winter so far. This morning was our first below zero morning all season (-2°F) and forecast to be back up to almost 50 again by Friday. Not good for sales and warmer than I like it for working in the woods this time of year. But days like this are just about right to get a lot of firewood manufactured; I don't have to stop so often to cool and dry the sweat, I can just peel off another layer, brush the icicles from my whiskers, and keep on swinging! Love it!
IMG_1005%2520%25281024x683%2529-755480.jpg

Well said!!! Awesome mornings worth of work too!

I don't mind the cold - as long as there is no wind. Good looking wood pile!

Good work quads. Been wondering about you.

Bet it seems good to you too to be able to cut without deep snow.

That pile is a beauty quads! Finally freezing here as well. Good thing, I've got wood to get! :)

Nice pile of oak. Do you sell this firewood?

Pat

Nice pile of wood quads! I love c/s/s in the winter too. In fact, I won't do it any other time. Did once and sweat! Plenty of things I have to sweat doing in the summer that are difficult or impossible in the winter........time management ;-P

Jags said:
Now that you have some cordage behind that Fiskars - whatcha think of it???
Fiskars? HA! Not me. I tried a month ago to buy one of the latest ones that everybody is raving about, the one that now has a full-size handle, and after a long chat with the lady at Fiskars, the closest dealer was 50 miles from me. Called there and the manager told me that they used to have one and when they finally sold it to somebody they will not be getting any back in. Said he could order it for me, payment in advance, but I declined. Didn't sound much different than ordering online to me, which I do not do. So my experiment with the wildly acclaimed Fiskars is still incomplete. No big deal, since my maul does just fine.....

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work quads. Been wondering about you.

Bet it seems good to you too to be able to cut without deep snow.
Yup. Was thinking about getting back into snowmobiling this year, but glad I didn't waste the money on one of those! Wisconsin's winters are just too unreliable nowadays.

Pat53 said:

Pat
Yes, eventually it will be sold. Not this year, maybe next. This pile is just waiting for room in the normal stacks, which are all full right now. When I get room I will stack it.

tfdchief said:
Nice pile of wood quads! I love c/s/s in the winter too. In fact, I won't do it any other time. Did once and sweat! Plenty of things I have to sweat doing in the summer that are difficult or impossible in the winter........time management ;-P
I still do it all year long (minus the three months of deer seasons in the Fall) but I prefer cold weather. I am not opposed to making firewood on 90 degree days as long as it's not too humid. The humidity is the only thing that stops me.

Wow Quads, beautiful pile of splits! Nice work.
How are the headaches?
And the Mrs.?
Take care

quads said:
Pat53 said:

Pat
Yes, eventually it will be sold. Not this year, maybe next. This pile is just waiting for room in the normal stacks, which are all full right now. When I get room I will stack it.

I am sure the years vary, but how many cord a year do you sell Quads. From what I have gathered from your posts over the year, it is a lot! Locals or campers. I am thinking you are near Point or Lake Du Bay. Just curious, you don't have to say.

Tony

aussiedog3 said:
Wow Quads, beautiful pile of splits! Nice work.
How are the headaches?
And the Mrs.?
Take care
Thank you! Headaches have gone away again for now. Sometimes they stay away a month or two, sometimes return in a week or two.

Mrs. Quads is feeling fine. She went to the store yesterday for a box of saltine crackers, bought a bunch of other things besides, came home and remembered she left the crackers laying on the checkout counter at the store after paying for them. So she is back to normal now. HAHA!

QuadForLife said:
I am sure the years vary, but how many cord a year do you sell Quads. From what I have gathered from your posts over the year, it is a lot! Locals or campers. I am thinking you are near Point or Lake Du Bay. Just curious, you don't have to say.

Tony
I turn away people that want to buy more than a face cord at a time. I only sell it in small quantities, each load is 1/6th of a full cord = 1/2 face cord, so I probably don't sell as much as it seems like. HA! Last season I sold 25 full cord = 75 face cord. I burn 4-5 full cord myself per year in addition to that. So far this season I have sold 5 full cord, which is about right on track where I want to be. Last season I sold waaaaay more than I ever wanted to. I don't want to sell that much firewood!

I am south of Point, about 10 miles east of Castle Rock Lake.

quads said:
Jags said:
Fiskars? HA! Not me. I tried a month ago to buy one....

Huh, I thought I remembered you were looking for one. Is the maul in your pic the old 6 pounder with a new handle??

Jags said:
quads said:
Jags said:
Fiskars? HA! Not me. I tried a month ago to buy one....

Huh, I thought I remembered you were looking for one. Is the maul in your pic the old 6 pounder with a new handle??
No, the old maul has a another new wooden handle in it (this time I glued it in and it seems to be holding very well), but it has been hanging in the garage lately. This is the Truper maul I bought from Tractor Supply last Spring. I made some modifications to it with the grinder and a file and now it's splitting capabilities almost rival my old favorite maul! After that experiment, I am convinced that I can take just about any old maul and shape it into a mean splittin' machine! HAHA! All the modern mauls I have seen in the stores do not look like they come shaped right to split to my satisfaction. So I reshaped the Truper myself.

quads said:
I made some modifications to it with the grinder and a file and now it's splitting capabilities almost rival my old favorite maul!

Okay, now the picture makes sense.

Awesome pictures and quite a nice pile of wood!

certified106 said:
Awesome pictures and quite a nice pile of wood!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.