Cool old tractor/sawmill vid.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always like to see when they pulley up an old Johhny Popper. Belt slapping old bastags.;lol

Never belted an M or an H. Round these parts they always wanted the Case or Olivers because of the smooth engines and excellent governors. Looks like the M was running it smooth but pulling it down. Of course the dude on the lever wasn't holding back much either.>>

A friend of mine farmed with an M, said he couldn't pour the gas in fast enough.:oops:

My father had the super M dont much it could not do.

That is a really old mill too.

I always like to see when they pulley up an old Johhny Popper. Belt slapping old bastags.;lol

Never belted an M or an H. Round these parts they always wanted the Case or Olivers because of the smooth engines and excellent governors. Looks like the M was running it smooth but pulling it down. Of course the dude on the lever wasn't holding back much either.>>
For burying the blade in what looks like shagbark hick ,,, I'd say that tractor did well.

Reactions: Thistle and Jags
M (not a super) should've thrown down about 35 ish HP to the pulley. I know we ran the grinder/mixer with one and it did pretty well with it grinding whole ears of corn. Could even feed it bales of hay, 1 flake at a time. Set it on the chute, watch it inch toward the hammers, slowly... then in about 1/2500th of a second the flake gets sucked in violently with a noise resembling a semi doing 80 through a bamboo stand, the tractor goes WOT with all 4 cyls hollering out the stack, the noise and vibration is just incredible and I can't wait to repeat the whole procedure. Loved grinding feed. ::-)

Something like this one was what I was feeding...

NHGrinder.jpg

For burying the blade in what looks like shagbark hick ,,, I'd say that tractor did well.

It held its own considering the dude on the lever seemed to be in a hurry. If he wanted to - he probably could have pulled down a 50hp. Brings back a lot of old memories of my youth when my cousin (a steam power collector) would have his steam shows. I don't think anything pulls a mill like a 110 hp Case steam engine.;lol

110 HP case steamers weren't common around here. An aquantance has a 60 HP Altman Taylor that was used for threshing around here (He has both the steam tractor and the 60 HP Altman 4 cylinder that replaced the steamer in the model lineup in the teens) I grew up with 3, 4 and 6 cylinder Deeres, IHC, and M-F's.

Our club has a smallish Frick sawmill (4 ft blade), and one of my best friend's father made his living with a large (6 ft circular blade) Frick mill that had a 6 cylinder Case Diesel power unit. Shame the only way to do it these days is with a band mill. I remember setting the teeth on the big mill.

i need that mill.

Love Love LOVE this vintage iron.Back in early '80's Dad & I used a late 40's Farmall H in skidding logs & other work at their acreage.Plenty of power,20HP at drawbar if I remember.But only used it a few months,with its narrow front spacing of wheels & high center of gravity - that was a very dangerous combination on land with very steep slopes,we both almost rolled it once.

That was enough to scare us pretty good,Dad soon afterward bought the ol' '75 Dodge Power Wagon w/ full time 4WD & front lockout hubs to retire the tractor.Sucked the gas,but you could practically climb up walls with it in low gear,as well 1 helluva stump puller.

Which I did one fateful day - While doing some storm cleanup for a neighbor down the road -He told me to "HIT IT!!!" and I did! Pulled that 2 ton massive Walnut log across the yard,with the stump & roots attached.Not only pulled the stump,sheared 2 bolts off the crappy rear bumper & twisted it like a pretzel! ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.