Cooper Insert???ANYONE????PLEASE?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttingras

Dec 13, 2006
Louisville, GA
Any info about a COOPER fireplace insert. I'm looking for parts. Also, we've tried everything to
adjust it to get maximum heating and it just won't work like everyone
we've talked to said it would. We use a combo of oak/sweet gum/hickory
and some pecan. I've searched the internet, far and wide, and cannot
find anything about this insert. From what we were told when we bought
the house is that it was installed in 1977. Thank you! Will email pics of it if you would like.

Interesting, I never heard of a copper insert. Can you post some pictures?

Might be time to upgrade to a new EPA certified & more efficient insert. May not find parts to repair, & may not be worth the hassle or cash to.

Here ya go! Thanks for answering me back. I was getting worried!

Attachments

• Cooper Fireplace 2.jpg
    Cooper Fireplace 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 263
I thought about replacing this one, but it has so much character. It's the reason why we bought the house! We knew we were going to buy it no matter what the inside looked like because of the Cooper insert. We've been here a year now. Moved from Kissimmee, FL to Louisville, GA and we're loving it. It's hubby's home town. Population 2600. We are restoring our 1941 Craftsman Style House. I'm pretty much looking for advice on how open or closed the dampers on the front should be and also, how far closed should the internal damper damper go? I've had two fireman,(25 years who is also the City of Louisville's Gas Man & 15 years respectively), look at it. They both gave a clean bill of health! As far as parts... We're pretty sure we will have to either make them or have them custom made. My dad's a great welder and my husband can pretty much do anything.

Thanks inadvance for the input and future answers!

Linda

This is a "local" stove, that meaning one of hundreds of welding shops that started making stoves in the boom times of the late 70's- most closed within a few years. I have heard of just about every stoves....at least any that ever advertised or showed at a trade show - but I never heard of this insert! Can't tell you it is unsafe, but can tell you that a modern stove will burn much cleaner and therefore many less problem with creosote and smoke - and less wood use.

Sounds like you are attached to it - and after having left Kissimmee I can understand the desire to "get back to reality" - but at the same time, most of use here would probably scrap this thing soon.

Damper positions are going to depend on many factors, including draft of the chimney, type of wood and heat desired. Read some of the articles on starting and maintaining wood fires at:
https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Good luck with your restoration.

Linda one of the first signs of overfiring is the pressense of a whitish surface Looking at that insert, the entire firebox is outlined in a whiter surface. When is the last time the chimney has been cleanned? How is it vented? Can we see the a picture of the fire box with the doors opened?

Looking at the pictures again that has been so overfired it has burned the high temp paint right off and bubled som of the remaining paint on the left side

HAHA Master....I wish, we did, though, find a 70 yr old picture in the base molding of a closet we tore out. LOL No my hubby's niece rented this house in the early 90's and we had seen it once when she lived here. When we visited her, the livingroom was really warm and the fireplace and the insert stood out. When we saw this house came on the market, we immediatley remembered the fireplace and insert. Give me your email address and I'll send you a link to Kodakgallery.com where you can see pics of the house. Before and after. Yesterday, my hubby hooked up and old gas heater that used to be in the house, somewhere. We've stopped using the fireplace, for now, until we figure out more about it. He's also installing a central hvac system(it's what he does). Thanks for the replies and I'll get a pic of the inside and up the chimney as soon as I can(later today).

Not to be be blunt...

Deep six it and get yourselves a new EPA Certified Insert.
It will use MUCH less wood, give more heat, and will look even better!!!!
Not to mention, it will be better for the environment as well.

By the appearance of the stove, is the chimney lined?/ block off plate installed?/ Is it clean???
Your treasure may cause you a few tense moments!!!!

Elk, you must be tired from your trip, you were a little quiet on this one. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.