Copper pipe corrosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prioritytimberland

Mar 15, 2008
NE WI
I added a 800 gallon stainless steel storage tank to my Tarm boiler two years ago. I noticed that the copper heat exchanger pipes are turning green. Is this something I should worry about? Can I add something to the water to stop further corrosion?

Not un-common. The green could actual be a protective layer as seen on many copper roofs.

But test the ph with a strip or better yet a digital ph meter. Softened water seems more aggressive to copper. Keep that around 7.2 ph. Keeping the O2 out would help. A boiler water treatment that would put a protective film on the copper would help. It would also scavenge O2 and balance the ph for you.

www.copper.org has some excellent reading on copper corrosion and causes and prevention.

hr

See if anyone around you sells Rhomar water treatment products. Their Boiler Pro 910 product is designed for open type systems and should work fine for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.