Copper Propane Line Pressure??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I am now using a 100 gallon sattelite propane tank since I'm heating with pellets. I ran the line directly from the tank to the outside house regulator. I am now thinking this was probably a bad idea due to the pressure being put on that 1/2 in copper line. Do I need a regulator before the line also?

Hmmm where's all the propane guys? Been runt off?

Most propane tanks have a regulator that screws directly to the valve on the tank, 3/8" copper to the regulator on the house, and no regulator on the appliances, unless it's a high pressure system (about 2 psi run in smaller copper lines instead of less than 1/2 psi usually run in black iron or CSST, sometimes flared copper tubing). That last part may be only natural gas, not a propane guy here.

I not sure how much line pressure is there but I would not feel safe feeding unregulated from the tank. I think code in most places dictates max line pressure as it leaves the tank(hence the need for a regulator at the tank). As was already mentioned the proper way is one on the tank and one on each appliance.
Joe

Its not the pressure, but the hazzard of an unregulated tank that is the danger here. Soft copper is good over 200psi, hard copper over 400psi. If you don't have regulator at the tank and the line leaks/ruptures you've got a problem.

No expert here, but our dealer installed propane tank has no regulator. Copper line to the house where it meet the regulator and shut off valve.

Where's Hank Hill when you need him. ;)

depends on the regulator. most appliances run on like .11 wc or something like that. it really equates to about 1/2 lb on the lines inside your house. sometimes you will 2 regulators - one on the tank which is your primary which knocks it down to about 12 lbs. then your secondary regulator takes the 12 lbs and makes about 1/2 lb. i dont know the rule of thumb or why, but sometimes you have 2 regulators, and sometimes just one will handle both functions. google the part number on the regulator, and you should be able to get some info.

Status
Not open for further replies.