cord calculator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjsnooks

Sep 20, 2007
Idaho
Does anyone have a link to a calculator where u can enter dimensions and it gives you the aprox amount of wood in that space? Im going after wood tomorrow and dont have my usuall trailer. im takeing a stock trailer and the dimensions are 14ft long 6ft wide and either 46"tall or 62" tall (depending on ambitious i am) thanks a ton!

Hmmm not sure about a cord calculator.

I may need corrected on this but I think a true cord is 4' tall x 16' long x 2' wide. This would be 128 cubic feet.

Let us suppose you stack the wood 4 feet high in the trailer. That would be 4 x 14 x 6, or 336 cubic feet.

Then we just divide the trailer's volume by the cord's volume, 336/128 = 2.625 cords of wood.

Be advised that the trailer is going to be very heavy with that load. Good luck! :)

http://www.maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

for anyone else looking this one was also mentiond to me. as for the trailer weight its a dbl axle stock trailer, long as im not over 2 ton(thats what we have had in it before) should be no issues. I know the trailer can handle more as its designed for several head of cattle. i just hope the durango is up to it. lol. and thanks for the help. i like the other site listed a little better than the one i posted.

Jacob said:
http://www.maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

for anyone else looking this one was also mentiond to me. as for the trailer weight its a dbl axle stock trailer, long as im not over 2 ton(thats what we have had in it before) should be no issues. I know the trailer can handle more as its designed for several head of cattle. i just hope the durango is up to it. lol. and thanks for the help. i like the other site listed a little better than the one i posted.

I hear you on the Durango pulling that load.

You may be hauling pine which would be totaly different but I put 6 rick (3 cords) of green hardwood in a goose neck stock trailer once and it was all that Dodge diesel and the trailer wanted. It was one of the few times I ever seen that truck smoke out the tailpipe much. That trip was the pits because of some tire problems I should have fixed beforehand. It sounds like you have this planned out better than I did.

Good luck dude!

A cord of green oak is about 3500 lbs.If your load capacity is 2 tons, you're almost there with one cord.

jebatty said:
A cord of green oak is about 3500 lbs.If your load capacity is 2 tons, you're almost there with one cord.
That's a light cord of green oak! A cord of freshly cut oak is probably closer to 4800 lbs.

If you're towing that big of a trailer with a Durango, I'd be careful.

You're maximum tow capability could be easily comprised.

no worries. we dont have oak here. its pine or doug fir. we have had that big of a load on the durango before. but my father in law brought his big dodge diesel to pull the trailer. YAY! and thanks for the calculator link

Status
Not open for further replies.