Cordless 40V Oregon PowerNow chainsaw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Questions

Dec 6, 2011
Southwest MO
When I first moved to my place 9 years ago, it didn't have any central heat except a 20 year old catalytic fireplace. I had literally scrounged every dime I owned to buy my farm, so that first winter, I heated the house with wood. I have 130 acres so finding enough dead fall was not a problem.

The real problem was, I couldn't handle a gas chain saw, because I couldn't pull start it. And most of my dead fall was far from the house, so a regular corded electric saw wouldn't work either. So I cut all my firewood that first year with a handsaw. And since the fireplace was an old one, it consumed a LOT of wood. Not surprisingly, that was the last time I seriously tried to heat the house with wood.

Last month, I got a 40V Oregon PowerNow, 14" cordless chainsaw to try. I had a medium sized tree go down in the yard and got a $200 quote to remove it. The Oregon was able to cut that tree, even though it was above the advertised size limit for the saw. I've also been able to clean up the remains of a couple of oak trees that an arborist left behind this summer. (We've had some bad oak die off here, and they were overhanging the house, so I had to hire a professional to climb the trees and take them down in pieces.) Some of those limbs were in the 8-10" range. I've also used it on some 6" osage orange, and that wood is about the hardest thing I've ever come across. I understand that osage makes great firewood, I'm looking forward to trying it after it seasons.

The batteries last quite a while. Much better than most cordless tools I've tried. They don't fade noticeably, and charge relatively quickly. Under an hour for the standard battery and under 2 hours for the endurance battery. The self sharpening feature is very nice, because I'm not that good with the file method.

The saw is much quieter than a gas saw, with no exhaust, gas, or oil to deal with. Of course a gas saw is going to have more power, but this saw is more than enough to do what I need around here. If you get a chance to try one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I had tried a couple of rechargeable saws before this and they were little more than toys in comparison.

This saw has made it possible to clean up around here as well as cut my heating bills off at the knees. It's almost solely responsible for my decision to go back to wood burning. Although it is an expensive saw, I think it will pay for itself very quickly, both in free firewood and a reduced need to hire someone to take care of downed trees. The only real problem is that after cutting down a few of my dead trees, now I want a wood chipper. :)

That doesn't sound too bad and we're glad it works out for you.

With the folks who can't start the bigger saws, on the smaller gas saws you can get the easy start option. That makes it really easy to start the saws. So one would need to compare the different saws and what they can cut with them. I wish they'd make the easy start with bigger saws and was told that it may come but haven't seen any yet. But then, I haven't been to the saw shop lately either.

A friend got me curious about that Oregon saw. Do be careful though- it does need oil for the bar & chain.

As Dennis said, some gas saws are MUCH easier to start than others. Then too, there are different ways to start them. A good one is way more powerful than any battery electric, and will have enormously more endurance. Lotsa luck however you get there.

I'll bet you'll benefit greatly from burning that wood in a current-spec insert or stand-alone stove. Fireplaces just suck up the wood. And suck in so much makeup air that they cool the house when the ambient gets below ~20 F.

Backwoods Savage said:

With the folks who can't start the bigger saws, on the smaller gas saws you can get the easy start option. That makes it really easy to start the saws. So one would need to compare the different saws and what they can cut with them. I wish they'd make the easy start with bigger saws and was told that it may come but haven't seen any yet. But then, I haven't been to the saw shop lately either.

Dennis the MS291 has a Easy2Start option now.

Did you replace your old fireplace with a new wood stove Burning Questions? If you did that I think you may be totally hooked on wood heat now that you have a usable chainsaw.

Dennis......I tried some of they "easy start" varieties early on. I just didn't feel comfortable with them, I have a bone spur in my shoulder joint, and that kind of motion is liable to set it off to the point where it takes weeks to stop hurting again. I know a lot of folks like them and I was very interested in them.

JohnB.... Every chainsaw needs bar oil, something I should have mentioned. I'd love to have a new insert or stove, but it's just not in my budget at this point. The fireplace does have an outside air source built in, it pulls air from under the crawlspace. When it is up and cruising, it heats the house very well, and since it is surrounded by rock it up to the roof, makes one huge radiator once it's warm. It just sucks up a LOT of wood.

Ray... As I said, I just didn't feel comfortable with the easy starts. Maybe if my local dealer had actually let me start one, instead of dry starting, I might have changed my mind. I think in the long run I will be much happier with the Oregon, I'm not that fond of all the maintenance and fiddling that goes along with gas engines.

Mark... At this point, tearing out the fireplace is not an option. Fixed income and all that rot. Also, due to my window placement, my house passively solar heats during any sunny day, so even my electric bills are not that horrible when I run only the electric heat. It makes it even less cost effective to to do the massive remodel it would take to get a new fireplace. I'm going down to a local dealer today to see if they have any suggestions for my leaky fireplace doors. Who knows, they might have some reasonably priced solution.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Sorry I didn't realize Dennis had posted the easy start when I posted that..

Ray

MasterMech said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis the MS291 has a Easy2Start option now.

Thanks MasterMech. I didn't realize they started making that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.