Corner area for new woodstove, need opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryT

Oct 27, 2010
SW Missouri
In the pic below is the corner of the dining room where the woodstove will be sitting. I'd really like for it to set at an angle for asthetic purposes but it sure makes it stick out further into the walkway then I'd planned. Not sure if I'll have enough room for the hearth and not interfere with the walkway. What I'm wondering is how much room should you have in front of the stove? I'm sure the more the better but would 5 inches be too little at the left front corner?

So why is my image not showing up?

Attachments

• Homepics003.jpg
    Homepics003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 395
It wasn't showing up because there is a space in the file path (Home Pics). The forum software can't handle that. It's better to just add it as an image attachment. I did this for you.

That looks like a very tight corner for the installation. The hearth needs to be 18" in front of the door glass. It will stick right into the path and doorway. What stove is this and what are the lengths of the left and right walls there?

I have a bias towards the Castine, based on personal experience. The Acclaim is a nice looking stove, but so far has an expensive repair record.

It looks like the best solution might be to install the stove parallel to the 68" wall and forgo the corner installation

No, rotate it clockwise so that it's back is parallel to the longer 68" wall and move it to the center of the 68" wall. Not ideal, but I can't make the corner install work with either stove without the hearth intruding in the doorway. Another stove that you might want to look at is the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap. It has closer clearances which may help a little here. It might be possible to have this stove slightly rotated into the room (not a full 45 deg) and still have the hearth not impinge on the 45" wall doorway.

If I sit it that way I dont think I can get the 18 inches out front and not be in the doorway, thats why I figured going counterclockwise and that will give me the 18 inches out front that I need and the 15 on the right side next to the wall. Does it matter what the wall surround is made of as far as your clearance dimensions go?

jaytee said:
Does it matter what the wall surround is made of as far as your clearance dimensions go?

I believe that if you put a correctly designed shield on the wall--basically sheet metal spaced out an inch, but there are more requirements--you can reduce clearances to combustible surfaces by 2/3:

http://www.woodheat.org/safety/safeinstallation.htm

Hope this helps, and good luck!

jaytee said:
If I sit it that way I dont think I can get the 18 inches out front and not be in the doorway, thats why I figured going counterclockwise and that will give me the 18 inches out front that I need and the 15 on the right side next to the wall. Does it matter what the wall surround is made of as far as your clearance dimensions go?

If there are 45" on that wall then it looks like it should work with either orientation. I like putting it on the long wall because it allow greater clearances from the side. But I can't see the whole room and don't know the general traffic flow. You would be the best judge for this.

Left image is the Jotul Castine, right image is the Quad Cumberland Gap with side door load. If the side door is locked, then the hearth width is 34 5/8".

Attachments

• Castine min hearth.jpg
    Castine min hearth.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 336
  • Quad_CG.jpg
    Quad_CG.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 327
Here's another pic with the stove moved forward or towards the camera about 10 inches or so. This would give a bit more room so the hearth wouldn't be quite as intrusive into the doorway.
Homepics004.jpg

You can see the tape I put on the floor, thats the outline of the stove in the previous pic. Its not a big difference but it might allow me to curve the hearth back in to the right once past the side of the stove and give me a bit more room for the walkway. When my grandma and grandpa lived here they had an old pot belly stove sitting in this location w/o any surround treatment on the walls. They did have a floor protector. I'm sure it wasn't up to code, prolly didn't even have codes back then but it worked okay for 40 years. Guess this pic has a space in it too. I cant load directly from my computer because of file size.

I don't think you will be happy with the install -- I like corner installs, but this will stick out too much into the doorway.

2nd Jake's opinion,

1. Most significant others would nix the idea of a woodstove in the dining room--- with nice hardwood floors... Consider future buyers. This is a pretty permanent addition to the home that you and future buyers will have to live. What is above that room? -- The chimney has to go up as it looks like that is not an outside wall.
2. Is there a room where you spend the majority of your awake time? ie family room, kitchen, living room that would be better suited?
3. After living with a stove, the thought of placing a stove IN a doorway would be out of question both during the burning season and especially the "off season"

My Oslo is corner installation. We have an open floor plan so this makes great viewing of the fire from the living, dining and kitchen. Can the door way be moved over 2 ft? If you don't use the opening much clearance with the stove may be livable, but I see the hearth as the problem. If it doesn't end up flush with the hardwood floor your going to have a lot of sore toes.

Tom

I agree - move the doorway (it's a lot less work than it sounds), then you can put in the stove you want in the place you want. You're already into some carpentry putting in the chimney, what's another day to move the doorway when you'll be happy with it forever?

Cant move the doorway, its the doorway into the kitchen and the cabinets are butted up against the opening. Not an option. I know when my grandparents lived here that is where the pot bellied stove sat. I'm sure an old pot bellied stove would need more clearance then these newer cast iron stoves, maybe not. I can rotate the stove counterclockwise like mentioned earlier and that would give me some more room but not sure its enough. No other room in the house will work. Its here or no where.

Back to my recommendations, given the constraints, forget about the corner install. It looks like the Quad Cumberland Gap place on the wider wall will give you good capacity and safe hearth clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.