Corner fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’ve used one of the small fans that go into the top corner of a doorway to help circulate the heat from our stove room. I’m wondering if there is a better way to do this or if these things are really all that effective.
Our house is about 1600 sq ft , 2 story, not open concept, late 70’s built. No ceiling fans.
The house heats up as would be expected- stove room and nearby rooms the warmest- the upstairs corner rooms cooler but comfortable.
No real problem here, but it would be nice to get the stove room a bit cooler during the process.

I’ve used one of the small fans that go into the top corner of a doorway to help circulate the heat from our stove room. I’m wondering if there is a better way to do this or if these things are really all that effective.
Our house is about 1600 sq ft , 2 story, not open concept, late 70’s built. No ceiling fans.
The house heats up as would be expected- stove room and nearby rooms the warmest- the upstairs corner rooms cooler but comfortable.
No real problem here, but it would be nice to get the stove room a bit cooler during the process.
Blowing air into the stove room area provides the greatest benefit to move heat. It’s opposite to what instinct says but I use this concept to heat my ranch home. Stove is on one end of my home and I place a box fan on the floor in the other end of the home (in hallway runs down the center). This forces all the cooler air towards the wood stove thus forcing the heat to travel down the hallway.

Blowing air into the stove room area provides the greatest benefit to move heat. It’s opposite to what instinct says but I use this concept to heat my ranch home. Stove is on one end of my home and I place a box fan on the floor in the other end of the home (in hallway runs done center). This forces all the cooler air towards the wood stove thus forcing the heat to travel down the hallway.
That is a good way to do it. If blowing cooler air into the warm area then setting the fan low works best.