Correct Burning teperature stiker c160 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
I installed my c160 insert into a zero clearance fireplace using a ventinox 6 inch offset adapter and about 20 feet of olympia stainless liner. My stove rarely get up to 400 degree's. I have experimentent with several kinds of woods and stacked wood several different ways. I keep hearing on this site people having trouble keeping there temparature down. Im only using about 2 inches of the 6 inch offset and there appears to an excellent draft and all seams appear completely tight. Could it be the offset adapter( if so ill have to live with it) any suggestions Stiker C160 insert now by Lennox

Usually an indication that the wood you are using isn't dry enough. Also if it's a brand new insert it can take a while for it to break in and cure. Are you getting secondary burn?

Get a good 2" layer of coals over a 1" layer of ash and try placing 3 splits front to back and then put a few more on top of those going side to side and let it run wide open for maybe 10-15 minutes (watch it closely). If you can't reach 500+ with this arrangement your wood is not dry enough.

Could be wet wood, bad thermometer, or the thermometer? Where is the thermometer placed? How long has the wood dried? What size are the splits you are using?

I have the C160 in my ZC fireplace with a offset adapter screwed down to the top of the insert, than the flex liner attached (also about 15'). I do not have a thermometer on it / but I have no problems with it heating up and it does a great job in my modest home.

Thanks everone for responding. Its been up and running for about two weeks. The wood I have been using, Im told from the tree guy is two years seasoned it seems pretty dry. I tried burning pallets, unfortunately they were pine but they were extemely dry. Temperature made it too just over 450. The thermometer is place on the left forward side about 1/2 below the top plate. I dont think its the thermometer cause When it says 325 degrees I can touch the top quickly without burnibg myself. YES, I definately am getting secondary burn. Sometimes I have to finess it out of the stove but I do get it. also what is the omptimum operating temperature to prevent creosote build up and promote efficiency. The wood box is very small 1.8 cubic feet so Im using 15 to 17 inches pieces various diameter

radster said:
The thermometer is place on the left forward side about 1/2 below the top plate.

That explains it, when people are talking 500 they are talking stove TOP, not front. If you are getting secondary burn and no smoke out of the chimney you are doing fine. The number you get to on the thermometer is really just a reference so you can get repeatable, consistent burns (and to prevent over firing). If yours happens around 400 when placed on the front then so be it. Move it to the top center and you will get a different number.

Status
Not open for further replies.