Correct exhaust install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance1

Nov 12, 2008
I purchased a house with a pellet stove and figuring that it's never been cleaned or oiled I started to go thought it. I found the pellet stove exhaust piped with a 3" stainless steel flex tube going a couple of feet inside of the 7" steel chimney and has kaowool filling in the gap. Is the kaowool the correct way of doing this?

The chimney is attached to a steel fireplace insert and the pellet stove sits inside the insert with the exhaust as above.

Lance,

I was not familiar with the Kao wool but after looking it up on the inet I see it is just an insulation not a sealer. I would be concerned about the emissions seeping back down into the house. I would think that the the 3" pipe should either go all the way up or be sealed where the 3" goes into the 7". Also, I noticed that the Kao wool said it is an asbestos product. As I said, I don't know anything about that stuff but, but be carefull with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.