correct way for a door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
ok i replaced my door gasket , the directions said put news paper between the door and frame and close the door while the seal dries. I did that and i did the dollar bill check and no matter how hard i cranked on the handle to make the seal tighter the bill would slide out !!!!!!!!!!!!! with not much pulling. in my mind i should have put the gasket on and let it dry then close the door. Which is the correct way ?

Sounds like you may have a gasket that is undersize.
Are you sure you were sold the correct one? Either method
you describe will work, as long as the gasket is sized right.

whats also weird is the local stove store has a brand new isle royale and i did the dollar test on that to and it slid out somewhat easy as well so i am confused !!

My opinion.....the bill will always slide out, don't get excited. Now you might have been sold a smaller gasket then what your stove takes and with some stoves you can adjust the door to how much it closes and compresses the gasket, so check your door out.

The easiest way to tell if your gasket is working as it should (it wont stop all the air flow) is when you choke the air down to the fire the fire should really die. I have enough draw where it will actually pull my door against the frame when I pull the air down. Right now my door gasket is compressed flat with no additional door adjustment for closing. In addition, my window gasket is shot too, but it choking the fire down good enough to get me thru the winter. Once I'm done buring for the year the whole door will be rebuilt with all new gaskets and spacers.

Build a fire and enjoy it......

Craig

“The easiest way to tell if your gasket is working as it should (it wont stop all the air flow) is when you choke the air down to the fire the fire should really die.â€

I don’t agree. This is my second year using my insert. I have always liked having a big fire in the hearth. I have learned the difference between a hearth and an insert is the first point of having an insert is to heat the house and seeing the fire is the second thing, not seeing the flame. I have replaced the gasket with Travis’s gasket and the dealer installed it. If I add too much wood, the stove will still get too hot and I can’t control it - if I choke it all the down or not the fire still won’t really die until the wood burns. It took patience to do it right and I was impressed the savings using wood and how the whole house keeps warm. I am still in the learning curve mode and all I can is just don’t add too much wood every time you add wood.

Robert

That's what happened to my isle royale if I pack it according to my piece of garbage rutland it almost goes into the "overfire" zone so I replaced the griddle gasket yesterday and I stove cemented some joints inside that seemed to help quite a bit. But if I wasable to get the dollar not to slide out I would think I can get more control.

Shmudda said:
My opinion.....the bill will always slide out, don't get excited. Now you might have been sold a smaller gasket then what your stove takes and with some stoves you can adjust the door to how much it closes and compresses the gasket, so check your door out.

The dollar should not slide out. There should be some resistance as one pulls it out.

Can you adjust the handle on the door to make it tighter.

Was this a round rope gasket? If so, you may have stretched the gasket too much while installing it, making it a little smaller in diameter.

No I didn't stretch it at all just layed it in there . And yes I adjusted the handle the door gets tight but not tight enough on the gasket. The $1 slides out pretty easy.

BeGreen said:
Shmudda said:

The dollar should not slide out. There should be some resistance as one pulls it out.

When/if it's real bad, you'll be able to push the dollar bill in.

And as I stated earlier I went down to the stove store and there is a brand new Isle royale and a dollar bill slid out of that stove pretty easy to.

Chrism said:
No I didn't stretch it at all just layed it in there . And yes I adjusted the handle the door gets tight but not tight enough on the gasket. The $1 slides out pretty easy.
Does it slide out everywhere around the door or just in a given spot? If in one area then the door might not be true to the frame.

Ill have to check around the whole thing, if its not true then I take a new set of doors are in order???? This is the best way to describe it hold a dollar bill with your thumb and pointer finger squeeze a little bit that is the resistance of the doors on my dollar bill.

When you touch the gasket is it hard or does it flex alittle. It should flex some to furm to the wall. Maybe its the wrong size gasket.

Replaced the gasket 1 month ago so the gasket isn't the prob, and the glass in the door calls for 1/4 " and the door channel calls for 1/2" . And I took washers off the handle to make the latch close tighter.

I would say that there's something wrong are u sure the doors are adjusted Wright(check your owners manual to see) having no control of the fire sucks sucks

Page 25 in the owner manual. I, think u should take alook. Start with removing one washer at a time. This should tighten it up. our u may need to add a washer. Should be a easy fix

Already did that. I decided to call quadrafire they said cast stoves are different than steel. Cast don't move it just breaks, steel you could use a rubber mallet if need be he said ?????? Lol got ta love em!!! Also the dollar bill passed around the whole door'S except the tops of them. It doesn't just slide out a little pressure is needed to pull it out.

that's awesome

Cast don’t move it just breaks
Generally speaking that is true. I believe amount of nickel content in the cast will allow some cast parts to change shape but only slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.