Corrosion on Accentra combustion blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_M

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2010
Halifax, NS
image.jpeg I'm doing my annual cleaning of my 2006 Accentra insert and when I tried to remove the combustion blower it was stuck in place by some corrosion on the mating surfaces. This stove doesn't have a combustion blower gasket but rather uses "a precision cut gasketless mounting plate", so the 2 steel surfaces contact each other. After some gentle tapping with a hammer I resorted to some penetrating oil and let it sit for a bit before eventually getting them apart.

I cleaned up the areas of rust as best as I could with my Dremel, but now I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do to prevent the problem from getting worse in the future. I'm considering spraying the surfaces with rust repellent but it would just burn off and probably not help much. I also thought of painting them, or making my own gasket. Or I could just put it back together and hope for the best. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm not sure why Harman chose to go with this gasketless design, or if it's common on some of their other models.

Smear a bit of high-temp antiseize on the surfaces.

Reactions: Tim_M
A little late into fall,but next summer remove,clean,treat with rust converter,paint with high temp paint.Funny,some older harmans had a gasket there,but cannot get it anymore,i cut them out of bulk gasket paper,but anti-seize will last quite some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.