Cost of installing granite countertop.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingolf

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Bloomfield, CT
I got my hands on some free granite. I have no idea on the cost of installing this. We are remodeling the Kitchen with new floor and cabinets and wondering what a fair price to fabricate and install the counter? And welcome to the first day of spring, the winter couldn't end soon enough.

Thanks

Brian

Hmmm ... I couldnt even guess. Everything I have seen is for material and install - never for just cutting and install.

The cost of the actual granite is surprisingly low compared to the cost of templating, fabrication, and installation. Call a few local countertop shops and get a quote. Is your granite already milled to a 1" thickness?

My cost of the granite can't get any lower. A friend who does this type of work gave me a price of $60.00/sq. ft., I was shocked at the cost, like I said I have no clue as to what the cost is. I did a google search and found some info that the cost varies around the country from 50 to 75 per sq. ft. So I guess his price is good. I know him and know he will do a quality job.

This granite was left over from the skin of a hotel in New York and is 1 1/4" thick. About 4 kitchens will be done with this left over granite.

And I think I spoke too soon on welcome to the first day of Spring.

Brian

Depending on your kitchen layout and edges you could do it yourself. I've done two myself with just the rough stone. The first one was just 8' x26" pieces with a factory edge so all I had to do was cut a few straight lines and grind one mitered corner. I cut and polished the undermount sink and drilled for the faucet. Lots of dust, but the most stressfull part is lifting the pieces into place. The second one was a rough-edged slab and I cut + polished all 4 edges. Can I tell the difference? Yes, but you have to look. The cost of the stone is about $5-$20 sqft for raw material, and from there you can get to the exotic stuff that is the difference between cord wood and veneer logs: A special stone will get crazy money. A nice stone with a fancy edge and an intricate layout could run you $200/sqft in an upscale house.

Here's a tip: Rub some acetone on the stone and check for any discoloration. This will tell you if the stone has been doctored.

Status
Not open for further replies.