Cost of new fireplace insert approximately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaR

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2006
As posted in another topic heading regarding the Glacier Bay insert...
I have an older Glacier Bay wood/coal burning insert in my fireplace.
It has a blower on it,but the cord is brittle and cracked from end to end.
In case I cannot have this repaired and I decide to purchase a new woodburning insert with a blower... what.. on average.. do these run with installation?
I live in NJ, but close to PA..
thanks!

Lisa, it depends on a few things. But basically size & composition. A cast Iron will cost more than plate steel. Then you have to take into account a s.s. chimney liner and the accessories. I have been researching pricing for a few months now. I just got a quote for a Regency i3100 (their largest) and it with liner, cap, liner insulation, (blower is free till Nov 9th).etc.$3,387.00. Insert itself is Just over $2,100.00 quoted to me.
I also was looking at an Avalon Olympic, (their largest). It was $2,109.00 not including liner, blower, etc.
Some offer blowers standard, some don't.
I am leaning towards the Regency, and buying the liner & accessories elsewhere, installing myself. I am going to check out the Pacific Energy Summit this week.

So far For what I have been looking for (large insert), It seems to be about 3-3,500 for the whole lot of goodies. This does not including delivery or installation.

Ive been looking locally as well, I was finding $1700-$4000.

the cord could be repaired no matter what though, unless you are just wanting a newer unit.

$1700 to $4000 installed I hope???

I am going to look into a new one.. just to save on heating oil bills if nothing else. I took the blower off, it does look repairable without a doubt. A new cord and a good cleaning and the blower should be as good as new on the Glacier Bay. I'm sure the newer models actually heat a much larger area though.

$1700 was a small Pacific Energy, un installed, without liner and such.

$3500 for, heck, I cant remember, some other brand, installed including taxes and all other things needed for installation.

$4000, was a freestanding thing, in a 5' tall arched hearth, that my wife fell in love with on the sales floor.

:)

Get the cord fixed for the Glacier Bay, any ppliance repair shop, or electric tool repair shop should be able to do it rather quickly and cheaply. Start shopping and doing your homework for a new unit now, but wait till spring to purchase. You may find a better price (off season discount), get faster service, and no shipping delays.

I ordered mine in at the end of march and was told "mid may" for arrival. The insert arrived the second week of april. KD

LisaR said:
As posted in another topic heading regarding the Glacier Bay insert...
I have an older Glacier Bay wood/coal burning insert in my fireplace.
It has a blower on it,but the cord is brittle and cracked from end to end.
In case I cannot have this repaired and I decide to purchase a new woodburning insert with a blower... what.. on average.. do these run with installation?
I live in NJ, but close to PA..
thanks!

Can you install it and a liner by yourself?

If so, figure 1500 - 2500 for the stove, 500 for the liner, if uninsulated, another 500 if insulated,

I just paid $2400 for my small Country C160 insert /installed

insert $1200
blower $230
Liner $350 Stainless steel flex non insulated
adapters $50
epa fee $30
labor $325
sub total $2185
tax $186

Total $2370

I'll fix the cord for $750

Welp, I just got a price of $2,104 for a Pacific Energy Summit Insert. Price for the run of S.S. Simpson rigid double wall w/insulation between walls-$140.00 per section. thinking I need 4 to get down above smoke shelf. The $250.00 for S.S. flex down to insert. then of course top plate & cap. I will make the damper plate myself.
I think I am going to go with the Summit. I do like Regency i3100 & the Avalon Olympic (largest fire box I found 3.1 cf). But the shop that sells it around here is shyster city I think, and the blower is a couple hundred extra. The Regency shop was ok, Regency has a 2.9 firebox, and blower free till the 9th of this month, just not sure. The Summit comes with blower, and shop is closest to my home (20 miles). Pretty straight foreward, doesn't install liners, but I am doing that myself. I have one or two more shops t check out. But the Summit is the front runner at this point. Anyone else that has any of these inserts, It would be great to know your thoughts, experiences & whether your happy with your insert or not?
All I can say is research Lisa, its not something you want to rush into IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.