Cost per month for heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
OK I did some math tonight to figure out an average cost per month to heat this old place. On average since October it has cost up about 240 per month. That includes pellets and increase in electric bill due to added space heaters upstairs.

That isn't horrible except for the fact that once the temps get below 20 outside I don't exactly feel toasty in the entire house and if I can't find decent pellets I have a difficult time staying warm anyway. Since October we've burned an average of 1.5 bags a day.

How much is it costing others to heat?

Under $200. Thats the cost of pellets, and electric bill to run stove, ceiling fans and enteeair fans. (1 and a 1/2 bags a day) No Propane for 2 yrs.

I am under $200.00 also first time heater has been on all year was last two days when temps got down low teens. We burn about a bag a day last two days 2 bags

5 mo. of heating w/ corn. average 95/ mo. + a little added cost of electric to run stove. house is a min. temp. of 72 f

I track every bag that goes in the hopper and in January I burnt 49 bags ...or basically 40lb. shy of a ton AND JANUARY WAS BITTER COLD here in central PA.
so I have seen like last yr ..good savings in Oct/Nov...slight increase in Dec...an full out burn in Jan....but still at $200 for the month of Jan. I am not bitchin!...Oil would have been double and a 3rd more at least!

Average of 134 since October. The cost of 3 tons divided by time .. that doesn't include the probable 10 dollars a month that it costs to run the stove electric wise.

I am am about $200 - $225 a month for 3600 sqft (1/3 unfinished basement no return duct connected) with electric increase. I had a Propane furnace so the blower is almost even with that. I guess the combustion blower 24/7 is costing me about $25 a month alone. I paid 168 a ton and do 2 - 2.25 bags a day unless in teens

Pretty good. I guess if I had a drop of insulation I could do better! I am in the process of ditching the electric space heaters and installing ventless gas up and down to help out but that won't be finished till next winter.

Heating with nut shells here.

$10 give or take for the electrical to run the stove plus about $2 a day for the shells if I have two stoves running.

To be real honest and generous No more than $70 a month.

Snowy

Most expensive month was January @ $300.00. That is for a 4,000 sq ft
home with a pellet furnace. Plus electric. Only get read once every three
months.
Could you imagine what my propane bill would be?
Three years ago I was paying over $3,000 in propane. I don't think that it
got any cheaper!!

rehabbingisgreen said:
Pretty good. I guess if I had a drop of insulation I could do better! I am in the process of ditching the electric space heaters and installing ventless gas up and down to help out but that won't be finished till next winter.

Invest in Insulation for your attic. It will cost alot less in the long run and much less dangerous than ventless gas !!!!!

Don2222 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

Invest in Insulation for your attic. It will cost alot less in the long run and much less dangerous than ventless gas !!!!!

I will insulate right after we find the money to deal with knob and tube wiring. Meanwhile, it's heat for upstairs and heat source for when the power goes out in the form of natural gas.

I'd love to insulate the entire house!! That would be ideal.

About $180 per month on average. That's for Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.