Could high winds help create a hot stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
It was about 11pm last night and I was burning down the coal bed in the Princess from the morning load(7:30am) so I could load some wood for the night. The stove top was around 350 and the coal bed was still pretty large but I wanted to get into bed so I spread out the coals and loaded it up. I had the stove on high(3.5) and the bypass open while the new load was getting charred up. I was sitting in the chair right next to the stove listening to the wind blowing(outside the house and in the stove). A few minutes after loading I noticed the stove pipe(double wall) was starting to make some noise(like when the stove warms up). I glanced over at the stove and didn't see a fully engulfed load(really not much activity at all) so I continued to watch tv, I then started to smell paint burning off the pipe so I quickly closed the bypass and turned the t-stat all the way down. I grabbed my IR gun and hit the stove top, it wasn't even 400 yet but the pipe was 400 on the horizontal run, it's never close to that hot. I don't have a probe on the pipe so I have no idea on internal temp.

My first thought was I had a fire in the pipe but as soon as I turned the stove down(gotta love the BK control) the pipe quickly cooled off, I also ran outside right after I dialed it down and didn't see any activity coming out of the top of the chimney along with checking the chimney(masonry with insulated liner) with the IR gun where it runs though the attic.(temps matched attic temps) The stove pipe was just off last week and I dusted the powder out of it while I had it off so it's unlikely it had any dangerous creosote build up.

After thinking about it and looking at the stove I'm wondering if the high winds blew down or across the top of the chimney creating a "super draft" condition. I noticed the first layer of splits in the stove had a couple inch gap between two splits right down the middle of the stove and it looks like the flames burned a hole through the second layer of splits right up the bypass. Reflecting back when I didn't see much activity in the stove I do recall some flames at the back of the stove which is rather unusual,(hindsight) I'm thinking those flames were getting pulled straight up the bypass and getting pulled out the pipe by the wind. After the pipe cooled down and I checked everything out I turned the stove back up with the bypass closed, finished charring the load and dialed it down. All the temps and the stove ran normal after this. I didn't reload this morning since I want to check the pipe out tonight.

Any other ideas on what may have happened or could I be on point with my thinking?

Just got done pulling the pipe and gave it a sweep while I was at it. I didn't get much except for a cup(maybe) of black soot(not shiny).(27' worth of liner) I swept the chimney over the Christmas holiday so I didn't figure I'd find much. I didn't see any signs of bluing in the pipe or chimney so it couldn't have got too hot. I'm thinking the fire was just being sucked up the pipe, I guess I'll just be more careful on those crazy windy days from now on. I obviously can't ruling out a small pipe/chimney fire but I figured there would be some signs of that left over if it happened like crude at the bottom of the pipe.

Just the wind blowing over the top of the pipe sucking the fire straight up the pipe since the bypass was open. No biggie.

rdust said:
could I be on point with my thinking?
Sounds good to me...

I agree, my double wall liner that drops straight down chimney and connects with T on my Encore gets very hot very fast if I dont pay attention.
Now I just open up air lever part way. I let the stove get up to 500 at a slower clip and monitor the liner temp with my IR gun just too be safe. Once engaging the CAT, I open up full air for ten minutes or so.
I have seen my double wall liner get red twice and that was enough too get my attention and that was day after i cleaned liner with brush

Status
Not open for further replies.