High winds cap blew off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
We had some high winds earlier this week. Worse that I have seen since living in this
Home with gust in the high 60mph range. Snapped some utility polls in my town and downed many trees. My Excel deluxe rain cap is hanging by one screw. My chimney guy said it was a first for him. He got calls from non customers who had top 4’ portions of class A blown off. He’s thinking about replacing my cap with a Ventis that has bands around it. Also clamps to pipe so won’t have my cap blown off again. Not sure of this brand. He said he can tap a new section of pipe and use the Excel deluxe rain cap again but might happen again with a super storm.

I thought that the Excel cap have 3 screws attaching it. Did someone not put in all screws? Excel Rain Cap Deluxe (EDRC) has a wind band.

That was pretty good storm recently in the northeast. I know Maine got a real beating as well.

I thought that the Excel cap have 3 screws attaching it. Did someone not put in all screws? Excel Rain Cap Deluxe (EDRC) has a wind band.
It does. I have that set up as well. I had the same thought that the screws weren’t secured well.

Sorry might be 3 screws. My installer said all screws were installed. My cap is the deluxe with wind band around the middle of the cap with a gap above and below.

With the wind we had can see why 3 screws would not hold well.

I can keep the current cap with new screws or change the cap. Not sure what to do.

I don’t know. I would think the 3 screws should’ve held up to the 60 mph wind gusts. I mean, I don’t think they should unscrew themselves, strip or break the screws. Maybe just make sure it’s in good working order and keep an eye on it with heavy wind? Are you able to get up there yourself if an issue arose?

I'd be inclined to reuse it unless the securing tabs have become weak due to a lot of flexing in the wind.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
I don’t know. I would think the 3 screws should’ve held up to the 60 mph wind gusts. I mean, I don’t think they should unscrew themselves, strip or break the screws. Maybe just make sure it’s in good working order and keep an eye on it with heavy wind? Are you able to get up there yourself if an issue arose?
No it’s too high and don’t have that tall of a ladder. If the new cap comes in he’s coming tomorrow. Install was June 2022. No issues last year and had the cleaning in May. I would prefer the Excel cap.

I'd be inclined to reuse it unless the securing tabs have become weak due to a lot of flexing in the wind.
Thank you. What I was thinking. I’m concerned since it’s just hanging by one screw. I’m sure when he gets up there he will see what happened.

Is the Ventis a cheaper cap?

No it’s too high and don’t have that tall of a ladder. If the new cap comes in he’s coming tomorrow. Install was June 2022. No issues last year and had the cleaning in May. I would prefer the Excel cap.
Yeah, you have to go with that makes you sleep better at night.

With the storm we had did not sleep well praying a tree did not crash into my house like others in town had.

Couldn’t you add a band over the rotated and re-screwed excel tabs, belt and suspenders? Even a band made of joined large diameter hose clamps could give extra grip although not very pretty.

We lost a good sized spruce in Monday’s storm but it was far enough away from the house so no damage.

Our chimney is a little under 5 ft so bracing wasn’t required but I got it braced anyway last year and slept the better for it when that storm hit. At times it was loud in the chimney but we didn’t get down drafts.

Do they remove the cap to clean? My cap has a ring that has 1 bolt that retains it, no way it can come off but I can remove it reinstall it with no problems.

Do they remove the cap to clean? My cap has a ring that has 1 bolt that retains it, no way it can come off but I can remove it reinstall it with no problems.
No need to remove cap to clean. He ran soot eater up to the cap. I only had soot and burn just over a cord with seasoned wood.

Couldn’t you add a band over the rotated and re-screwed excel tabs, belt and suspenders? Even a band made of joined large diameter hose clamps could give extra grip although not very pretty.

We lost a good sized spruce in Monday’s storm but it was far enough away from the house so no damage.

Our chimney is a little under 5 ft so bracing wasn’t required but I got it braced anyway last year and slept the better for it when that storm hit. At times it was loud in the chimney but we didn’t get down drafts.
Not sure he will do. First thing is he will get up there to see what happened. He can rotate and rescrew if tabs are not bent. Don’t think he will clamp it since installing to Excel’s directions. The new Ventis has a clamp that attaches it if I go that route.

Spoke with ICC today and learned this can happen. Wind gust over 60mph are strong and depending on wind direction it’s not 100%. He said I could put a large clamp around the tabs and turn cap slightly and retap screws. Also said fully warrantied if does not work out.

Not sure he will do. First thing is he will get up there to see what happened. He can rotate and rescrew if tabs are not bent. Don’t think he will clamp it since installing to Excel’s directions. The new Ventis has a clamp that attaches it if I go that route.
Excel makes locking bands as an option. It's part ELB.

Excel makes locking bands as an option. It's part ELB.
Thank you. Funny he did not mention it. He said use a large hose type clamp. I will ask my chimney guy.

@begreen do you have a link to see what the ELB band looks like? Thank you

Chimney guy came. Excel cap has 4 screws/ tabs. Two screws were holding it. Tabs were bent so switched out cap with a much better clamp system on the Ventis. Got to see excel cap after two months of burning and minimal powder in it. He also said birds can’t get in this one which he said can be a problem with excel.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick