Could it be true????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will reach a pleasant 54 degrees here overnight tonight. We must be in the right place. 50s and low60s overnight for next 5 days.

Maybe im just getting old but i cant take the heat anymore. Cold im OK with to a certain extent. Not much in the way of production at high temps out of me. The house has to be below 80 or i cant sleep. Had to install a couple ACs in a house im rehabbing just so i could work. No retiring in florida for this old dog. Finally come to appreciate the cooler climate of central Pa. At least most of the year.

I've known a few people that have lived in Florida. Nothing they have told me makes me want to live there. Even the people that liked it and tried to put a positive spin on the place.

What was to blame in 1932?

Newspaper article in 1932.

1932-carbon-dioxide-global-warming.jpg

Reactions: bholler
Just about The only scientists who still deny it are on energy company payrolls
Aaaa...yes. the old rhetoric that since most "scientists" agree..it must be true! This is a settled science and must be believed!

And how many with absolute conviction of man made climate theory are on federal grants?

Last edited:
Aaaa...yes. the old rhetoric that since most "scientists" agree..it must be true! This is a settled science and must be believed!

And how many with absolute conviction of man made climate theory are on federal grants?
And that matters because...? Hypotheticals are easy. For example, how many oil company scientists knew this, but were paid to keep quiet?

The answer about federal grant scientists when considered globally? A small percentage.

Last edited:
This is one debate that will never be solved by logic, because it has become religion, on both sides. We all owe it to ourselves and our kids to innovate and conserve, where it's convenient and practical. Whether we've reached a tipping point or not, it's very easy to see the likelihood that someday we will. It's also easy to look back 50 years on things that once were, which are no more, especially when traveling coastal areas.

I've known a few people that have lived in Florida. Nothing they have told me makes me want to live there. Even the people that liked it and tried to put a positive spin on the place.
Its nice in the winter:cool:

This is one debate that will never be solved by logic, because it has become religion, on both sides. We all owe it to ourselves and our kids to innovate and conserve, where it's convenient and practical. Whether we've reached a tipping point or not, it's very easy to see the likelihood that someday we will. It's also easy to look back 50 years on things that once were, which are no more, especially when traveling coastal areas.
totally agree with what you have said, then there are somethings like the following article that stick just to the cause of California's heat wave .mother nature does still have an affect. what ever you want to call a down slope wind it causes heat in CA. those that tie it to a AGW world wide heatwave are just ignoring nature. imagine a heat wave article with no mention of AGW, here is one!https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/weather/weather-watch/article214502154.html

Haven't heard a lot in the way of practical solutions on this from anyone.That's if there is one. Only option is to prepare for change. Since were pretty bad at preparing for anything,that wont happen either. ;hm

Reactions: begreen
Haven't heard a lot in the way of practical solutions on this from anyone.That's if there is one. Only option is to prepare for change. Since were pretty bad at preparing for anything,that wont happen either. ;hm
sure you have(solutions). you've read stuff here and elsewhere . i assume you've read what the ipcc has to said, articles on the Paris accord, Copenhagen, ect. point , change is happening, are we the main cause or a piece of it? one side has it that with every breath you take ( what a great song title) you CONTRIBUTE to it. try living in doggerland, wonder where all the neanderthal and humans went. jmo

The solution is out there....renewable energy, RE, growing it and applying it universally. Right now, in 2018, we can see a reasonable (near-zero) cost path to a >50% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions with our current 'lifestyle' with existing RE technology, or plausible near term improvements. No energy revolution required.

It will just take 15-30 years to roll out.

So you are correct the climate will change. Species will go extinct. Most humans will simply adapt even if they notice at all. There will be a few winners and losers.

Solar is doubling in output every 2 years. Not rooftop, which has cost issues....utility solar. Huge PV farms are being built all around the world at rock-bottom prices.

And wind is booming too, and improvements to wind tech (mostly bigger turbines) are leading to vastly increased wind resource, higher capacity factor and lower prices than previously imaginable. The UK is now at ~20% wind energy.

And unlike AGW, RE is popular....with more than 80% of Americans in favor of growing it....somewhat ahead of puppies and kittens in popularity.

Last edited:
The solution is out there....renewable energy, RE, growing it and applying it universally. Right now, in 2018, we can see a reasonable (near-zero) cost path to a >50% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions with our current 'lifestyle' with existing RE technology, or plausible near term improvements. No energy revolution required.

It will just take 15-30 years to roll out.

So you are correct the climate will change. Species will go extinct. Most humans will simply adapt even if they notice at all. There will be a few winners and losers.

Solar is doubling in output every 2 years. Not rooftop, which has cost issues....utility solar. Huge PV farms are being built all around the world at rock-bottom prices.

And wind is booming too, and improvements to wind tech (mostly bigger turbines) are leading to vastly increased wind resource, higher capacity factor and lower prices than previously imaginable. The UK is now at ~20% wind energy.

And unlike AGW, RE is popular....with more than 80% of Americans in favor of growing it....somewhat ahead of puppies and kittens in popularity.
so true, just hope the powers that be do this transition in an orderly factor. New England continues to be a laggard in RE while closing high carbon plants before having viable (ready and cost efficient) replacement. with out well laid out plan, New England could well be the Germany of the US. https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/what-german-households-pay-power

There are other solutions developing, particularly in Europe. I just spent an hour going through cradle to grave operations for bio-plastics being developed and sold for a wide range of applications. The carbon emissions are majorly lower than petroleum based plastics. Alliances have developed that are building a circular economy based on completely recyclable plastics and also fully compostable plastics for use in the hospitality and event, grocery and agricultural markets. The scope of products now on the market is encouraging. A lot of the innovation has taken place in the US but Europe provides a much more ready market so far with its stricter cradle to grave (and cradle to cradle) manufacturing regulations.
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/ambitious-alliance-mobilizes-value-chain-bio-based-polymers
https://www.genomatica.com/
http://materbi.com/en/

Last edited:
/QUOTE]
here comes your heat, mean while not so hot WW. the east on the local side will , well lets say cool off
The snowpack at Paradise Ranger Station at Mt. Rainier (5,500') officially melted out on Wednesday. July 11th is right about the 102-year median, according to @markalbrightwx Makes sense, we had about a spot-on normal snowpack this year. #wawx.
while you bake, out east we may start a fire in some places?

the desert having classic monsoon+cool!

point taken, yesterdays temp worldwide, only one day, let's compare examples?
/Dh_C5bhX0AASrFk?format=jpg.jpg
nothing to see here? your image from july 3rd?
L4LKCQJHRQ7HZIAAFWSCYEXNRY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.