Could it be true????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm.... if the earth was purely hot from when it was first formed, the core would have frozen solid millions of years ago. It's heated by radioactive decay in the core, and has long since reached a steady state temperature. Taking geothermal power from it will only have a local effect (the thermal conductivity of rock is pretty poor so you might get local cold-spots where you take heat out), rather than a global one.
Why do I feel you'd have given me a similarly confident answer about air quality or ocean temperatures, if I had asked those questions 100 years ago? Yes, I was talking about localized impact of city-scale thermal draws. Nothing on a mass-population scale happens without impact.

I imagine nobody loses, as people seem content to win the small battles. It's not good, or bad. It's just how it is.

I imagine nobody loses, as people seem content to win the small battles. It's not good, or bad. It's just how it is.
When the earth becomes much less habitable for humans we lose and that is bad. It's just how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know when that happens.
Unless we change our ways it will happen eventually. I am not going to pretend to know when but it will happen with our current path. It may be hundreds of years from now or 50 i dont know.

Let me know when that happens.
Move to the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico and ask that question. Locally we just had the driest May/June on record, in wet WA. We have an 80ft coastal redwood dying due to lack of moisture. It's thrived for decades, but now can't make it after 3 drought summers. If you are dealing with insect migrations devastating woodland, or disease creeping northward, you will be feeling the effects of climate change. Wildfire seasons are getting longer and doing a lot more damage as heat waves get longer and hotter. Miami has seawater in the streets on a regular basis. And this is just the beginning.

Reactions: Ashful
All this boils down to the population. Unless we can invent our way out of it ,a rising population will consume everything,and pollute everything at some point. Im not sure what the sustainable number is, just that were probably beyond it.

Reactions: bholler
All this boils down to the population. Unless we can invent our way out of it ,a rising population will consume everything,and pollute everything at some point. Im not sure what the sustainable number is, just that were probably beyond it.
Yes it is a very simple concept. I cant beleive people would claim it isnt true

New head of NASA has seen the light. He went in a climate change denier, but now says the science has convinced him it is real and here.

New head of NASA has seen the light. He went in a climate change denier, but now says the science has convinced him it is real and here.
Just about The only scientists who still deny it are on energy company payrolls

Locally we just had the driest May/June on record, in wet WA

Wet Wa? this 1977 paper talks 19 drought occurrences since 1900. '77 end of last ice age warning? http://ltrr.arizona.edu/sites/ltrr.arizona.edu/files/bibliodocs/History of Droughts in Washington State_1977.pdf

Miami has seawater in the streets on a regular basis[/QUOTE

Miami has lived with their "King Tides" for many years. Left out of the discussion are two factors, subsidence and simple heavy rain. many of the worst visual examples we are presented with are combinations of all three together. the only regular thing about King Tides is they usually occur in the fall and are forecasted. that is I guess brings the referral to, "regular basis"

https://speakingofgeoscience.org/2017/02/22/coastal-subsidence-harbinger-of-future-flooding/

"Wildfire seasons are getting longer and doing a lot more damage as heat waves get longer and hotter. "

while longer and more damage maybe accurate, much less area is burning>
22448153_10156121084368968_4558999427942612294_n.png

then we have this from Climate central
1_6_16_Brian_Wildfires2015ANIMATED.gif

which graph is true? I really don't know! anybody else got the answer?

one thing I'll agree is that so many fires are found to be started by a person making them "man made"
once again I sit on the more than one thing answer, natural and man made. which one has more weight, C02 or sun/moon gravity, subsidence, combined with on going sea level rise. I've mentioned Doggerland before in other posts, always a good reminder.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/maps/doggerland/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I should have said Western WA, my bad. Wet WA is what most people perceive of this state. People think WA state and think the Seattle/Tacoma area mostly. Normally May and June are damp cool months here. Overall, only 0.75 inches of rain fell in the two months, which marks just the third time in more than 120 years the Seattle area didn't record at least an inch of rain in May and June. The previous record was 1932. And we are just starting our driest months.

Note that paper covers both sides of the state. Eastern WA being about 2/3ds the total area and is a high desert plateau. You can't really compare Western to Eastern WA weather. They are very different climate zones separated by the Cascades. Western WA weather is more coastal whereas Eastern is more continental. This shows up in the maps in the report ( Figure 4). This year on the western side soil moisture is already at very low levels, more typical of mid-August. Yet last month Eastern WA saw some significant wet weather late in the month. That rain never made it to Western WA. The year is only half over, so we shall see what happens.

Droughts in Eastern WA are more common especially when there is low snowpack and much more noticeable prior to mass irrigation by damming the Columbia and Yakima rivers. Not so in Western WA. Also note the data for tree growth is only from Eastern WA. In fall and winter Western WA gets the most moisture and that makes up the balance as snowpacks rebuild. The Palmer charts show there were 4 significant drought periods in Western WA up to 1977. These have become more frequent in recent years and hotter. 1981 was a very dry year also.

Last edited:
I should have said Western WA, my bad. Wet WA is what most people perceive of this state. People think WA state and think the Seattle/Tacoma area mostly. Normally May and June are damp cool months here. Overall, only 0.75 inches of rain fell in the two months, which marks just the third time in more than 120 years the Seattle area didn't record at least an inch of rain in May and June. The previous record was 1935. And we are just starting our driest months.

Note that paper covers both sides of the state. Eastern WA being about 2/3ds the total area and is a high desert plateau. You can't really compare Western to Eastern WA weather. They are very different climate zones separated by the Cascades. Western WA weather is more coastal whereas Eastern is more continental. This shows up in the maps in the report ( Figure 4). This year on the western side soil moisture is already at very low levels, more typical of mid-August. Yet last month Eastern WA saw some significant wet weather late in the month. That rain never made it to Western WA. The year is only half over, so we shall see what happens.

Droughts in Eastern WA are more common especially when there is low snowpack and much more noticeable prior to mass irrigation by damming the Columbia and Yakima rivers. Not so in Western WA. Also note the data for tree growth is only from Eastern WA. In fall and winter Western WA gets the most moisture and that makes up the balance as snowpacks rebuild. The Palmer charts show there were 4 significant drought periods in Western WA up to 1977. These have become more frequent in recent years and hotter.
as you always point out Climate Change really isn't about local variances.

Last edited:
yes, point taken. it is a long term trend and the region is trending drier and hotter so far, but that may change.
http://www.washington.edu/news/2017/10/20/mountain-glaciers-shrinking-across-the-west/
I'm really not trying to be a pain in the butt, but? there are some questions one could ask, USGS has a quick answer. one would guess those glaciers came after the pleistocene epoch, slower to grow, faster to recede? https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/are-today...s_science_products=3#qt-news_science_products

Happy 4th, great to enjoy part of our freedoms in discussion

Move to the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico and ask that question. Locally we just had the driest May/June on record, in wet WA. We have an 80ft coastal redwood dying due to lack of moisture. It's thrived for decades, but now can't make it after 3 drought summers. If you are dealing with insect migrations devastating woodland, or disease creeping northward, you will be feeling the effects of climate change. Wildfire seasons are getting longer and doing a lot more damage as heat waves get longer and hotter. Miami has seawater in the streets on a regular basis. And this is just the beginning.

How come, when cold weather happens and jokes are made about global warming, you state that the event is weather event and not a climate event? Yet a warm weather event is automatic evidence of global warming and is not a weather event?

What was to blame in 1932?
A separate topic and still under study. Bring it up in the Inglenook.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddar...wl.html?sess=c1b9386f067f1f270bfd1e5ca837d7bc

How come, when cold weather happens and jokes are made about global warming, you state that the event is weather event and not a climate event? Yet a warm weather event is automatic evidence of global warming and is not a weather event?
The cold weather experienced last winter in the east was countered by extreme warm temperatures elsewhere on the planet. Our NW summers are getting drier and our snowpack is shrinking. This is a multi-year trend so far. Extreme weather, more intense storms, heavy downpour increases, high seasonal average temps, lengthening frost-free seasons are all examples of trends being watched around the world. This is not a linear progression. There always will be deviations along the way.

2014 article but consistent with current trends
http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-...-shrinking-snowpacks-drier-summers-12-20-2015

Last edited:
What was to blame in 1932?

Well, Herbert Hoover was the Republican President, and I'll add, a mining engineer specializing in the most profitable ways of ripping valuable minerals from the womb of the Earth.

:)

only using part of your discussion #69 " Extreme weather, more intense storms" tornadoes are world wide but that stat hard to find. Us from wiki, " The year has been unusually quiet so far, with near record low tornado amounts in the typical peak month of May."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornadoes_of_2018. one article sates lowest in 13 years. think tornadoes qualify as extreme.

the other would be hurricane ACE, should be rising , true world wide phenom, from Dr Maue. you be the judge.

that includes last years 3 monsters, with Harvey being the odd ball, being trapped by high pressures east and west.

just some more info for thought.
global_major_freq.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to go back to an earlier BG comment. " Wildfire seasons are getting longer and doing a lot more damage as heat waves get longer and hotter."
Now Joe Bastardi doesn't hold water here, still he put the following piece out in May. It addresses a lot of what is said in part of BG's post. While he has a Calif. focus notice the increased rain Apr-May on the whole of the west coast, easy to see Calif. with the most. Read if you wish , if you want a spoiler , he predicts a bad season with his reasons why. https://patriotpost.us/opinion/5600...another-big-wildfire-season-may-be-on-the-way

Maybe im just getting old but i cant take the heat anymore. Cold im OK with to a certain extent. Not much in the way of production at high temps out of me. The house has to be below 80 or i cant sleep. Had to install a couple ACs in a house im rehabbing just so i could work. No retiring in florida for this old dog. Finally come to appreciate the cooler climate of central Pa. At least most of the year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.