Could someone please post pic of "seasoned" pine? (i am from the northeast never seen it before)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I am going to try and burn a little pine this year but would like to get an idea of wht it should look like..I have some that has been cut 7 months, and recently split but shows no sign of the "weathered" look like oak starts to get.... It does however have some cracks in it, any pic would be appreciated

Impossible, there is no such thing as seasoned pine. Is this a trick question?

iceman said:
I am going to try and burn a little pine this year but would like to get an idea of wht it should look like..I have some that has been cut 7 months, and recently split but shows no sign of the "weathered" look like oak starts to get.... It does however have some cracks in it, any pic would be appreciated

It looks exactly like creosote.. :ahhh:

Ray

This was split last June.

Attachments

• yopinesplit.jpg
    yopinesplit.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 1,007
I have quite a few varieties of softwoods drying - found that they don't change color much - a little lighter maybe, not a whole load of cracks like you see in most hardwoods. The weight when dry is quite a giveaway though..

That dark weathered look you often see on cord wood is from fungus/mold that develops on the surface of the wood. It is fed by the moisture escaping the moist wood, or in some case can be fed from rain water if the wood is exposed to the elements.
My wood rarely gets that dark color because the trees I cut are already very dry, so there isn't enough moisture in the wood to feed the fungus/mold, consequently my pine wood doesn't change much with time except maybe the color will fade, or lighten, a bit as CN mentioned.

Here is some on my fully seasoned year old pine.
http://southokanagan.biz/woodshed/pine.JPG

thanks for the pics mine is still light colored and very light in weight, i was splitting some more today and a couple piecs were wet! some had droplets of yellow stuff on them... hope this stuff will be ready by Oct!

Ideal or not as fuel I've got 5 60 year old pines coming down on my property this year and they will be used as fuel for the fireplace. I just can't see letting it go to waste.

My neighbor just dropped 3 huge pines and bucked them and wants me to take them. I have more than enough wood - I wonder if I should bother? He's a good guy and I wouldn't mind having something to split - just to keep in practice. I've never burned pine either. I may take it just to prove a point.

basswidow said:
My neighbor just dropped 3 huge pines and bucked them and wants me to take them. I have more than enough wood - I wonder if I should bother? He's a good guy and I wouldn't mind having something to split - just to keep in practice. I've never burned pine either. I may take it just to prove a point.

Now you know you will wear out the hinges on your wood stove trying to keep that fire fed if you use pine, right ?
Good for pit fire only. Keeps ya from falling asleep in the yard, feeding the mosquitoes.

I'd take them. Free is free.

I've found a maul does a better job than my fiskars with pine. Slab sections off from the edge, work towards the middle. Be prepared to build up a pile of unsplittable rounds/half rounds/odd bits because of the knots. Great for the shoulder seasons in my Jotul.

basswidow said:

Take 'em . . . free is free . . . and all wood throws out heat once seasoned . . . pine is wicked nice for kindling . . . and is good for the shoulder season fires.

firefighterjake said:
basswidow said:

Take 'em . . . free is free . . . and all wood throws out heat once seasoned . . . pine is wicked nice for kindling . . . and is good for the shoulder season fires.
+1

Also a nice split of pine on a real cold day will really get the hardwood burning nice and hot.

If Its below zero 0°F and I'm going to be around the house all day its great heat. :cheese:

Just got a truck load by my tree guys this morning. Split it big. Once it drys its super light to carry.

Never burnt much pine but I know you want it to be very dry or it will create a lot of creosote.

woodsmaster said:
Never burnt much pine but I know you want it to be very dry or it will create a lot of creosote.

Yep, exactly right, just like unseasoned hardwood

You Easterners are so wood-snobbish and naive. %-P If it weren't for Pine and other softwoods (Juniper, Larch, Fir, e.g.), many of us wouldn't have a stick to burn. If we had a choice, would we opt for nice hardwoods? Sure we would. But where some of us live, hardwoods simply are not available, so we heat our homes with softwoods. Somehow we manage to survive. Rick

fossil said:
You Easterners are so wood-snobbish and naive. %-P If it weren't for Pine and other softwoods (Juniper, Larch, Fir, e.g.), many of us wouldn't have a stick to burn. If we had a choice, would we opt for nice hardwoods? Sure we would. But where some of us live, hardwoods simply are not available, so we heat our homes with softwoods. Somehow we manage to survive. Rick

I have about a cord or so of pine to burn this year..i will be careful cause i know it burn s hot... BUT, from now on every year I am gonna try to get a cord or so, it will be good to mix with the other stuff especially in oct-late nov , early dec.. this way it saves money as people here will pay for you to take the pine!! (lol joking but close to the truth)

Most people around this area leave it for the yard waste trash pick-up. (no joke)

Well, we don't have yard waste pick-up...but if we did, whaddya think they'd do if I put this out by the street? %-P

Attachments

• rounds.jpg
    rounds.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 388
I love pine. I'll burn anything that dry; even old styrofoam pine. Puts out more heat in the stove rather than rotting in the back part of the yard.

I'm a weekend burner, our stove is at our weekend place in SoVT. I spend a lot of time lighting fires in a cold stove and restarting from coals. Pine makes excellent kindling. This year, I'm going to make sure I have plenty on hand. I have a bunch of pine logs 24"+ long that I need to cut down and split. Most will be made into kindling.

Another advantage to pine is the tendency for the stove manager to remain trim and fit from all the trips to the wood pile and back.

I think one of the reasons so many Easterners are so jaded against pine is because of the crappy varieties of pine they have out East. Move any of these Eastern wood snobs out West and they'll soon change their tune.
I live in Canada (you know, the frozen waste land to the far North of you), and I've never had a problem heating my two story home exclusively with Pine, burning a measly one or two loads a day for much of the winter.
If you read through this forum enough it will become clear that the majority of problems that people are complaining and posting about is trying to heat their homes with hardwood that isn't properly seasoned, not that they have to make so many trips to the stove with their nice dry Pine.

Carb/Lib, I think you are probably right. I am in north central NJ and would probably never burn wood if I had to process the pine I have at my disposal. I think it is mostly norway spruce with branches every one foot.
Bullseye regarding seasoned wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.