Could this be right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I responded to a recent local CL ad that offered a "large downed tree" available for cutting up for firewood. They want $100 for it. I wrote and asked what the approximate diameter is and the approximate length.

They wrote back saying it was about 7 feet in diameter and about 45 feet long!!! Oh, and they also think it might be elm. This is in upstate New York where virtually everything was clear-cut starting in the late 1700's, and virtually all mature elms died of Dutch Elm disease a generation ago. What could this be!!!???? I had to opt out because my saw could not even come close to dealing with a 7 foot diameter trunk.

What do you experts think of this one???

If this IS correct, how many cords of wood are in that bad boy?

-Speak

Its 7' in circumference. Could be elm. They should pay you to cut it up!

did they go 7" across or wrap it around? many people wrap around it .. which it still wouldnt be smallbut not nearly 7' acroos!

Doesn't sound like a good deal at all. Probably 2+ ft diameter, or 7 ft circumference. At that price, I'd keep looking. If it were already cut up into 16 in rounds, it would still be a marginal deal. They don't even know what kind of wood. May not be 'good' wood, may be low BTU junk.

Maybe a beech? We seem to have a lot of them that weren't worth cutting for logs that end up covering a 1/4 acre.

lol dont pay a dime!

For $100 a cord, my wood guy drops in in my yard. Tell him you want it delivered for that price. If it is Elm, tell him you want it split too.

Before Dutch Elm disease, there used to be a few around here about that size. They all died off when I was younger. Nowadays about the only thing around here that size are Cottonwood near the creeks, and there isn't many of those big ones anymore either.

First I would do nothing until you know what that tree is and know for sure what size it is. Then you would have to determine how hard or easy it is to get at. Then you could determine what it really is worth. However, even when you get those answers I doubt it will be worth $100.

That elm in Maine that died this Winter was 20 or more feet in circumference and about a hundred feet tall.

Maples can get pretty darned big and wide, too, especially grown in a yard out of the competitive canopy.

billb3 said:
That elm in Maine that died this Winter was 20 or more feet in circumference and about a hundred feet tall.

Maples can get pretty darned big and wide, too, especially grown in a yard out of the competitive canopy.

For this tree to have a 7' diameter would mean that it has about a 22' circumference.

I have to believe that they meant a 7' circumference. So they aren't very good at math.

I still haven't gotten back to them to go and have a look.

-Speak

craigslist is always good for a laugh. They prolly want you to haul the brush away and grind the stump, too. After all, you're getting all that wood for only $100.

i think it is possible that there is a 7' circumference elm in upstate NY. I don't think it would be worth $100.

Last week I split some Elm that was 24-30" in diameter and I would HATE to tackle a Elm that was 7ft in diameter. I could not even fathom the work involved with an Elm that size...if the size is correct. good luck either way

Status
Not open for further replies.