Could unseasoned wood be my only problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoTy

Nov 20, 2007
Eastern Oregon
OK, I've been studing all the replies to my 2 posts. At first I thought maybe it was a negative pressure problem. But after I started a new fire twice with the window cracked I didn't see any difference with my smoke problem. Its really cold out today so the difference between inside and outside temp is great. But I was still thinking I had a draft problem because when I try to start a fire smoke just pours into my house. But I went outside when I was having this crazy smoke inside and smoke was coming out the chimney too. So, I'm wondering if this wood is new could that be my only problem? My neighber uses this same wood and doesn't seem to have a problem. But I have a Osburn 1800 insert and she has a huge stand alone oven. Does that make a difference?

How is your fire burning? Is it burning with alot flames and other than the smoke problem would you say it's burning well? Unseasoned wood will cause alot of problems but if your draft is good the smoke should go up the chimney even with unseasoned wood. If the wood is smoldering and not producing much heat then it won't create a draft and smoke could pour out into your room.

Why don't you buy a couple of yuppie logs (the wax and sawdust ones) and light them in the stove and see what happens. If they don't smoke in the house then throw some of your wood on the fire. The yuppie logs will provide heat for the draft and give your wood a chance to dry out as it burns. See if this helps.

Have you primed your stove with some newspaper stuffed as high as you can in the stove?

Matt

JoTy, why don't you run us through your start up procedure. Tell us what you do from a cold stove in detail and tell us how the fire is burning (lots of flame, very little flame, etc...). With a little more information, I think we can all be of more help.

Some pictures of the process might also be helpful.

Well, I just got up and my fire was going all night. I put a new log on a big bed of red coal and it puts off a lot of smoke with vey little flame.Plus my glass door is starting to get black again.

Can you please describe what you are doing in a bit more detail.

It's good that you have coals left after an overnight burn. Are you raking them to the front and piling them in front of the air inlet? You should then open the air (lever to the right) all the way and let the coals get nice and hot.

You say you put a log on the bed of coals. Are you using a round or a split piece of wood? How many pieces are you putting on the coals? Did you put any kindling in with them? When you put the "log" in did you leave the air wide open and the door cracked for a bit to get things burning?

For a morning re-start, I'll usually pile the coals over the air inlet and open it wide up to get the coals revived and hot. I then put a few pieces of kindling or small splits on (depending on how many coals are left and how hot I can get them) and let those get started. I leave the air wide open and the door cracked to get this "starter" load burning. Once that is going good, I then put larger splits on and leave the door cracked until they are flaming nicely and look charred. I then close the door latch and wait for the temp to come up on the stove, when I shut the air (lever to the left) down and let it roll.

You have to remember that heating with wood is a process; it's not just setting the t-stat or tossing in a log and walking away. There is definitely a learning curve to it and we are all going through it. I'm by no means an expert. This will be my second season with my Osburn and I'm still tweaking the way I burn almost daily. I learn new tips and tricks reading here and from trial and error (sometimes it feels like more error). You will get the hang of it.

Keep the questions and answers coming and we'll have you burning hot and clean in no time.

The air has been wide open the whole time( all night, if I close it down it tends to smolder). I raked the coals and just threw one split log on. No kindling.

I'm thinking it's a combination of a couple or three things.

First, I am really questioning whether or not your wood is properly seasoned. You may want to try the yuppie log as suggested earlier, or try wood that is known to be dry.

Second, poor draft and or negative pressure could be part of the problem. You should not have to leave the air wide open all the time.

That brings me to the third contributor, the human factor. I think you may be rushing things with your burning procedure. That is one reason I have asked you to elaborate on exactly what you are doing three or four times now. As I said earlier, there's more to it than simply opening the door and chucking in a log.

I would suggest first trying wood that is known to be dry and ready to burn. Also, take a little more care with getting it started and burning.

Let us know what happens as things progress.

Agreed that this could be a combination of factors. Basement stoves often need an outside air kit. Does the Osburn have one?

What type of wood are you burning? When was it cut and delivered? How large are the splits and how heavy?

If you split one of the logs in half and press the fresh face of the wood against your cheek, does it feel cool and damp? If the log is heavy and damp, you are fighting nature. Wood needs to be dry to burn well.

Sounds like black locust. Even when seasoned will initially burn dirty and a B_@$%* to start. But after it gets going will burn real hot and beautiful coals.

Woods wet. How long does it take for the splits to ignite after you put them in. In the morning after down to just coals, put 3 small to medium small splits in to start.
Then add larger after this is burnt to near coals.

I agree with Hog, sounds like wet wood. Try buying some of the kiln dry firewood they sell at gas stations or big box stores, burn it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.