Couldn't resist even though...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
.... I don't really want to take wood that isn't cut exactly at 24" or at least close to it. I know I am way to OCD, but a 24" piece fits nice in the fire box.

I came home from work today and 2 of my neighbors had some tree work done. The one guy is directly across the street and left me this little load.
7.jpg

The other guy had a maple that had 5 trunks coming out of the ground and was at least 35' tall
He kept all of that would since he burns and the tree guys told me when they were done he got about 5 cord from it.

BUT they had a truck that came from another job and it had some maple in it and they gave it to me for free.
5.jpg

4.jpg

Like I said it's not the right size vertically but I took it for the horizontal WOW factor.

3.jpg

2.jpg

I guess I will just use it for shoulder wood and camp fires.

I still have this load sitting on a job site that I just started bucking into nice 24" rounds.

1.jpg

That's not close to home, it is at home,
Sweet score.
Can't pass those up, especially if you need shoulder & camp fire wood.

impressive big rounds;ex

Know what yo mean about 24", I like mine 17" & so does the stove ;)

Big rounds look like Silver Maple,

Nice score Mike. Man, I can never find any free ones that get dropped off at my house! :confused:

very well done, going to be a good workout splitting those but once they are done they will burn great

Good to not be picky sometimes Mike. Don't forget that soft maple will make some of the best kindling wood there is and this stuff dries super fast too.

Good to not be picky sometimes Mike. Don't forget that soft maple will make some of the best kindling wood there is and this stuff dries super fast too.
Kindling?! I sure hope after all the work it will take to muscle these around that it will be worth than just kindling.
Are we sure it's just soft maple?

Mike, do not worry. That "just soft maple" is good wood. We've burned plenty of it for many years and will continue. It won't hold a fire as long as hard maple or oak but it will do really well and also give you good coals. All I was saying is that it will make great kindling wood. The reason is that it drys fast, lights easy and burns hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.