Counter flow Stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peedenmark7

Oct 22, 2010
wisconsin
I'm wondering if any manufacturers such as Lopi or Jotul offer a counter flow blower system on their gas stoves ?

I've got a Berkshire and love it, but it seems, it would make more sense to blow warm air out at floor level than 2 plus feet off the ground.

Gas stoves & fireplaces are set up to draw COLD AIR from the floor level, heat
it, & then move it out into the room...
If you do not have a blower, natural convection will still allow this air movement,
although it will not move as far into the room...
Trying to heat warm air doesn't seem to be logical...

Reactions: k0wtz
Gas stoves & fireplaces are set up to draw COLD AIR from the floor level, heat
it, & then move it out into the room...
If you do not have a blower, natural convection will still allow this air movement,
although it will not move as far into the room...
Trying to heat warm air doesn't seem to be logical...
The convection part is hard to understand but its there is gas heating stoves.

Cooler air exists naturally at floor level. As the stove heats up, so does this cool air.
As it starts to rise, it'll pass over the heat exchanger in the stove, & it gets MORE heated.
& flows out into the room. That air needs to be replaced & that replacement air is MORE cool air.
It beomes a cycle cool air in - warm air out. That is natural convection...
It CAN be assisted by a blower or a floor fan.
For what it's worth, if you have a ZC box (wood OR gas) that is on an external wall, it is naturally cold when it's not burning.
Warm air from the room can enter the top of the unit & LOSE temperature as it contacts the colder metal.
This cooled air will DROP thru the exchanger & pass out of the bottom of the box in the form a cold draft...

Personally, I prefer using a box fan the break up stratified temperature layers in a room.

Forced air furnaces usually provide a powerful fan that mix up the air and make all the temperatures relatively equal despite their location in a room.

Forced air furnace design often takes return air for the furnace from the floor level, where it might be coolest, and also have warm air registers at floor level too!

Warm air registers are also commonly located under windows, which are often the coolest part of a room. Located there, warm air is added to cool locations.

But as I said, I like box fans. They are cheap, easy to clean, can circulate lots of air and are good at breaking up those stratified temperatures.

As Daksy says, most gas fireplaces, if they have a fan, take air in at the floor level and have it exit near the top of the stove.

Perhaps a reason for that pattern is that there is room and power for a at the bottom, where the gas valve and burner are commonly located, and the air can then be blown around the firebox above which is often a box within the larger box of the fireplace cabinet.

Also, at the bottom the fan and electrical connections are bathed in cool air being drawn in to circulate around the firebox. If the power and fan were at the top, they'd be exposed to the high temperature air produced by the woodstove, especially when the fan was turned off.

If you kept the fan in the bottom of the fireplace but directed warm air out the bottom, you'be be bathing the gas burner and electrical controls and wiring in a stream of warm forced air, which might not be a good idea.

But the ways of fireplace designers can be mysterious.....

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer using a box fan the break up stratified temperature layers in a room.

Forced air furnaces usually provide a powerful fan that mix up the air and make all the temperatures relatively equal despite their location in a room.

Forced air furnace design often takes return air for the furnace from the floor level, where it might be coolest, and also have warm air registers at floor level too!

Warm air registers are also commonly located under windows, which are often the coolest part of a room. Located there, warm air is added to cool locations.

But as I said, I like box fans. They are cheap, easy to clean, can circulate lots of air and are good at breaking up those stratified temperatures.

As Daksy says, most gas fireplaces, if they have a fan, take air in at the floor level and have it exit near the top of the stove.

Perhaps a reason for that pattern is that there is room and power for a at the bottom, where the gas valve and burner are commonly located, and the air can then be blown around the firebox above which is often a box within the larger box of the fireplace cabinet.

Also, at the bottom the fan and electrical connections are bathed in cool air being drawn in to circulate around the firebox. If the power and fan were at the top, they'd be exposed to the high temperature air produced by the woodstove, especially when the fan was turned off.

If you kept the fan in the bottom of the fireplace but directed warm air out the bottom, you'be be bathing the gas burner and electrical controls and wiring in a stream of warm forced air, which might not be a good idea.

But the ways of fireplace designers can be mysterious.....
both of you are correct.. I n working on our vermont castings stove when the stove is lit i can feel that air movement underneath the stove.