Country Flame Ovation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHMan

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2010
CT
Going to be starting my stove for the first time shortly.
Stove has a lined firebox with a small hole for the ash dump, a guess would be
3x4 inches. Is this hole to remain open during operation? Or should I cover it with a spare fire brick?
A wire grate is also an option

The manual does not specify and I do not see an ash plug listed under the parts section, that is odd. Most have some sort of plug to put over the hole that is taken out when the stove is cool in order to get the ashes into the dump. I would at least cut a firebrick to put over it.

In the manual I saw, it says there's a lever and spring-loaded door setup. (You can put your stove make and model in your signature; Hover over your username at the top of the page.) Also says "NEVER BURN THE STOVE WITH THE ASH PAN OPEN"...make sure you have a good seal there. Has the ash door got a gasket and latch?

Yup, there is a sliding tray for the ash dump, and a handle which activates a trap door, which opens into the ash pan.
I didnt see it in the manual. and you cant really see the handle unless you look under the stove. And the pan itself
has a latch which allows thr drawer to slide out.
Thanks for the responses

I forgot to mention, Its been awile since I set up a stove. I made the conection between the stove and
chimney pipe using Heat Fab Saf T Pipe. I cant imagine using any other product. Im sure its more expensive
than the box store 24 gauge pipe, but once connected and screwed together its very solid. The pre drilled holes are
a nice feature as well.

I'm pretty sure that there is similar quality pipe out there but we used HeatFab rigid liner and corrugated fixed elbows at my BIL's house. Nice heavy-duty welded stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.