Country Stoves PS40 growls, but only when auger motor spins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erictomlin

Oct 15, 2014
Oxford, MA
Hi friends,

I have a 7 season old Country Stoves (since bought by Lennox??) PS40 that has been remarkably reliable. However, today I noticed that when the auger motor spins, there is a "growling" sound that was never there before. My assumption is that it is a worn out bearing, or some other such part. I'm hoping it is not the actual auger motor itself. The noise is fairly consistent, but it varies in loudness - even no growl every now and then - so that leads me to believe it is not the motor itself.

Can anyone here share any experiences with this particular issue? Is this something I can fix myself relatively easily? I'm fairly handy with a wrench if a fix is "bolt-on" type stuff. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Eric

Possibly something stuck in the auger tube. Causing it to rub.
Possibly the bearing going out.

Not familiar with the stove at all but Theres a couple old threads with the same question with the same stove.
Hopefully it works itself out since what little i read there a major pain to work on.

Time to pull the auger from the tube and see if there is any issue with a rough spot, burr or buildup of some kind.
Many stories of screws, nails, rocks and toys gumming up the works.Grab some graphite or moly spray after all has been cleared and polished and give the auger a couple coats. It can really reduce the hp needed to push the pellets.
See if you can split the gear case and clear out some of the old grease and ad some new.
Hope it helps get you to the end of season if the motor and gearbox are failing.

Thank you for the responses thus far. Interestingly enough, the stove is operating normally again today. I have not heard the "growling" even once since I woke up this morning. Maybe something was stuck in the auger tube and had to work its way out???

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.