Cover For A Well Casing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'd like to cover the well casing in my front yard.
A miniature wishing well like I've seen around here would do the job but I've got a hankering for something different, like a gazing ball.
I'd have to get a pedestal that would cover the casing.

Any suggestions or ideas?
I'm not wed to the gazing ball thing.

Google "mock rock". We use one for our well, looks great! We actually bought two more for our weekend house; one for the well, one for the septic access.

Random pic I found online:

skymall5.jpg

Yes, very much so. You can't really tell it's fake until you touch it. We've had one in our front yard for 8 years now. I'll try and get a picture of it.

my wife put a 'mini-outhouse' over ours, it had a seat and all the necessaries in it. looked inviting, so I put one of those rubber dog poo's in it, as to add some touch......

Thanks for the idea. I like it but I can't conceive of my wife coming up with that idea, but that's her.
It's whimsical.
Our well is right in the middle of the front lawn too.

Maybe a big gnome...
Or a lighthouse?

We do have plenty of rocks around here. I'll have to look around to see if I can find one in a store.

Well, my wife is amenable to a fake rock.
So, skier, if you have any pics, that'd be great.

I'll do my best to take a few pics after work today.

Lots of options, I'd probably check out the local garden supply places as they have lots of pedastal style things that might work (you didn't give dimensions on the thing you are trying to cover...) I've also seen various statues of critters (frogs, rabbits, bears, etc.) either just plain or holding a gazing ball. We have one person in our town that has a moderate size statue of a bear in their front yard, probably 3-4' tall, that they "dress" in seasonally appropriate outfits to fit upcoming holidays... Low key but amusing to keep an eye on as the outfits change.

How much attention do you want to give the cover? Set it up and forget it, or keep changing its look to entertain the passersby?

Gooserider

Some pics I took after mowing yesterday. Took them on my BlackBerry, so they're not the greatest...but should give you a good idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG00087 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00087 (Medium).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG00088 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00088 (Medium).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 523
No problem! Let us know what you end up going with.

Here is the rock we got.
There was an initial small problem:

Attachments

• P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 6,702
I have a half wiskey barrel planter, upside down over my well casing. Not a great pic, but you can see it on the right, in front of the Japanese maple and behind the oak rounds in the foreground.

Attachments

• 226.JPG
    226.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 412
how about a small lighthouse?

velvetfoot said:
Here is the rock we got.
There was an initial small problem:

LMAO! I showed this pic to my wife and we both had a good laugh. Excellent work!

The rock looks great in place. It's amazing how "real" they look.

Yeah. Thanks again for the tip. We got a kick out of the whole fake rock thing.

We've got two on order for our place in VT. I'll be sure to follow your lead and post some "it fell on me!" pics when they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.