Cover for my board pile - Fun with Conduit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
A friend has a portable sawmill and I cut a few logs to saw up. This is the results of sawing up 4 logs The wood is quaking aspen cut 12' long. My town loves to tax "structures" and anything attached to the ground will get listed as structures and will show up on my tax bill so the goal is support it off the pile and argue its a temporary cover over a wood pile. The lower conduits when twisted 90 degrees just slip in between the sticking, I then rotate them back and attach the top tube. The roofing is PVC, its cheap but real flexible. I get snow in my area and will be bracing it up before winter.

I have considered doing some creative vertical tarping and turning it into solar kiln. I left some room up top as I have 3 more smaller beech logs to saw up and store.

P6220302.JPG P6220301.JPG

Last edited:
Great thinking

Do you have to turn the wood every once in a while so it keeps drying evenly and not warping / cupping?

Do you have to turn the wood every once in a while so it keeps drying evenly and not warping / cupping?
The boards are sticker stacked so no turning necessary
Air moves freely on all sides for drying.
Interesting Idea for the rack!

Being new to this I am just doing what makes sense. One thing I was told that is very important i to coat the ends of the logs with a wax coating as soon as I could after cutting so I coated them. I did a stack in my garage attic last fall and the boards seemed to be flat down on the bottom but there was cupping on the beech near the top. I put a couple of layers of weight on top of the boards.