Cover Shaker Grate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibba

Oct 1, 2014
NH
Hello - I have a small old Russo coal/wood stove that the previous owner used solely for burning coal. I'm using it to burn wood, and have noticed that one of the features of the stove - the shaker grates that would allow the coal to shake down into the ash pan below - while good when burning coal, make it more difficult to sustain any sort of coals when burning wood. The grates are always open and I can go from having a full stove burning nicely to cold coals in a very short amount of time...so waking up to throw a stick in is a virtual impossibility unless I sat there all night/day. It basically means I'm perpetually starting a new fire from scratch every few hours.

I realize there are other contributing factors involved, not the least of which are the stove's limitations, but I was thinking I put something down across the top of the grates (steel or cast iron plate?) to help maintain some coals.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what (not) to use? E.g. what gauge might be appropriate to lay down there that will withstand the heat?

Appreciate any insight!

What model is it? Russo CW 1? I have one, and you put a separate insert in for burning wood.

I believe it's a CW 1...came with the house when I bought it. I haven't seen a wood insert around, but may have to look harder. Can the coal insert be removed, or does the wood insert just go on top of it?

I believe it's a CW 1...came with the house when I bought it. I haven't seen a wood insert around, but may have to look harder. Can the coal insert be removed, or does the wood insert just go on top of it?

The coal insert has to be removed. Then you pop in the wood burning insert. Mine came with my house too. I've got the wood one but not the one for coal. With coal you also need a shaker disk and a tool to shake it. I'd originally wanted to try some coal but you have to have a special barometric damper installed in the flue plus the fact that I don't have a place to get free coal like I get free wood.

Pm me or hit this thread with any more questions. I've gotta go Christmas shopping. Not looking forward to it.

The coal insert has to be removed. Then you pop in the wood burning insert. Mine came with my house too. I've got the wood one but not the one for coal. With coal you also need a shaker disk and a tool to shake it. I'd originally wanted to try some coal but you have to have a special barometric damper installed in the flue plus the fact that I don't have a place to get free coal like I get free wood.

Pm me or hit this thread with any more questions. I've gotta go Christmas shopping. Not looking forward to it.

Thanks for the help. No insert to be found in my house, so I may order it from Russo, but will likely just lay down some steel in the meantime. Good luck w/the shopping - did the same last night and will be suffering again tonight. Cheers!

I have a coal cook stove in my kitchen and I just threw a tinny piece of loose fitting sheet metal on the grates, it's probably like 22 gauge........ It's been in there since October and so far it's fine plus it's cheap and easy to replace when it does burn out. I cut it a little smaller than the grate area so the draft can still come in around it. I got the idea from my father who used to have a round oak coal stove in his living room........ Said he threw a few old licence plates in it, they where made of steel back then lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.