1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cover to Tuck Your Wood In

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jotul8e2, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jotul8e2

jotul8e2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ozarks
    We are all cheapskates here, right? If not, then why on earth do we do all the cutting, splitting, hauling, stacking... well you know all about it. So, like you, I was looking for some means to cover my firewood to keep it dry and ready for use. Price was very much an issue.

Fortunately I located an excellent source of covers for my wood that was right in the heart of my price range - free. I got a dozen or so covers used by Polaris to ship Victory motorcycles to their dealers. I believe the Polaris atvs, and likely snowmobiles use the same covers. They are seamed to create a box shape with no bottom and are designed to cover the rectangular knock down crates the factory uses for delivery. They are the right size to cover about a half cord of stacked wood.

Granted, they are not heavy weight, nor or they likely to last more than a season or two, and some of mine have a small hole or two, but hey, we're talking about firewood here, not some kind of permanent shelter.

I suspect most dealers just give or throw them away. If not, they are good enought to be worth a few bucks. Polaris has dealers everywhere and it might be worth your while to call.

Mark

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Member

Loc:
    ATL
    Good deal, I'll stop by the Polaris dealer tomorrow.
  3. Jeb1heat

Jeb1heat Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    Great find. I've been using plastic bought in rolls from the hardware store. I guess it's true. "one man gathers what another man spills."
  4. itworks

itworks New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern CT
  5. boostnut

boostnut Member

Loc:
    central IL
  6. GaryS

GaryS Member

Loc:
    Central MO
    Best free wood pile cover I have found is rubber roofing material. It's tough and won't blow around. Local roofing companies would have some lying around if they've recently removed an old roof.
  7. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Cut up the material from those so called inflatable pools. The ones with the inflatable ring around the top. The lower part of the walls and the floors are a very tough material. These pools are often given away on CL.
  8. FF184

FF184 Member

Loc:
    SW Pennsylvania
    I've used one of those and also the bottom of a tent from a big tent that my neighbor threw into the garbage. I just layed it out and was able to get a couple long pieces for my stack in a row and a couple of square pieces for a couple pallet stacks.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Been trying to find some of that my self
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.