covered ash removal shovel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bastiat

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2009
north jersey
last year I read about a covered ash shovel made in canada. I had been inventing the exact same thing in my head each time I nearly dropped hot coals on my wood floor. can anyone tell me the name of this thing??? It was definitely talked about on one of the posts, perhaps in the stories/editorial section. I would appreciate any help

It was called the "Ash-Trap". I was just recently looking for it and can't seem to find an active link.

Shari

Can't help you BUT I began using a small oval metal roasting pan with a lid that fits easily into the firebox. I fill it - put lid on and no more ash in the house. It is taken outside and deposited in a larger metal trash can to cool prior to being spread around my garden...

I got the ash trap last year. Wonderfull thing to have. Really cuts down on dust and is a safe way to remove hot ashes. I tried to find a link to it, but cant find it.

Google ashtrapper and you will find their broken website. You can however see some of it in Google's cache.

It's not the same outfit, as far as I can tell.
This guy: http://ashtrapper.com/ is in the States and only sells the narrower model, far as I can tell.
I like the wider one, 'cause I do one big scoop, close the lid, and put it on some concrete to cool off and dump it later.

Why would you shovel out the coals? These are what gets your next fire going. Take a cheap sheet metal shovel and drill some holes into it so you can separate the coals from the ash, then you take out the ash and the remaining coals will glow bright for your next fire.

I asked ashtrapper.com about the size and this is what I got back:

"Hi
Thank you for your inquiry. This size is six inches wide by fourteen inches long by five inches high. We find this size works best for most size wood stoves. We no longer carry
any larger size because most wood stoves are smaller these days. Also our ladies who clean like this size for easier handling. We are having work done on our website today so if you would like to
order please email us with your order. Our website should be working tomorrow."

I got that Koal Keeper.
For me it's a waste, never use it.
A lot of effort.
Just let them burn down.

I emailed the Canadian purveyor of the original Ash Trap with a suggestion to add a grate to screen out the coals. I did not get a reply.

I have friend that does sheet metal work and gave him some drawings. Will see him next week to see how he made out or if he even had a chance to do anything with it. WIll update when I finally get it!

bastiat said:
I nearly dropped hot coals on my wood floor.

I would try not to scoop hot coals and just ash. I like to leave some ash in the firebox with the coals so I do not get obsessed with removing all the ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.