Crack in a Steel Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOH

Sep 24, 2015
Michigan
Hello, good people! I hope you're all warm and cozy.

I am trying to find the best way to repair a stove crack, and am out of my depth. Online research has led me down the typical rabbit holes (from "sell it for scrap" to "don't sweat it!") so I'm hoping you folks can set me straight.

The stove is a 2003 H&H Quadra-Fire 3100 ACT which appears to be otherwise solid. The cracks (see photo) are right at the "T" part of the rear manifold. The stove is not currently in use and will not be until this is resolved -- along with new brick, etc..

To what degree will these cracks affect performance if left untreated?
Is it something that needs to be welded? Anyone have experience with cost to have that done?
What about using furnace cement? Refractory cement? I am uncertain of the difference in those products, but have seen both mentioned in repair discussions.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

SOH

Attachments

• 3100 crack (front view).jpg
    3100 crack (front view).jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1,442
  • 3100 crack (top view).jpg
    3100 crack (top view).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 999
Is the stove still under warranty? If yes, has your Quad dealer been asked yet?

\
I am trying to find the best way to repair a stove crack,

Quad has repair kits for this problem. It is fairly common they have stainless plates that cover over the air manifolds

Unfortunately no. I am the third owner (my understanding is that these warranties are non-transferable) and it's beyond the 10-year mark anyway. I will call the manufacturer but I have more faith in y'all.

\

Quad has repair kits for this problem. It is fairly common they have stainless plates that cover over the air manifolds

Thanks for the response! I looked online for those (heard elsewhere that might be an option) but couldn't find anything. Any idea of retailers or how/where to find it?

Thanks again.

Any idea of retailers or how/where to find it?
Quad dealers. But be aware they are not cheap if it is out of warantee

I believe the last one we did was $250 to $300 but they vary depending on the stove

I believe the last one we did was $250 to $300 but they vary depending on the stove
Wow, that's more than I can do. I wonder if welding is a reasonable remedy. I could probably barter some trim carpentry to get that done, but only if it's a viable and safe repair.

I wonder if welding is a reasonable remedy.
That metal is already pretty fatigued i doubt a weld will fix it. The good thing is that it really is not dangerous to burn it like that it will not be quite as efficient and if you continue to do it for a long time you will destroy the stove. But in a pinch it will still work safely.

That metal is already pretty fatigued i doubt a weld will fix it. The good thing is that it really is not dangerous to burn it like that it will not be quite as efficient and if you continue to do it for a long time you will destroy the stove. But in a pinch it will still work safely.

Well, that's good to hear. I wouldn't go more than one season without the manifold liner (just save up and buy it next year). As long as it would be SAFE and reasonably efficient to use as-is, that would be great. Thanks very much for your input!

I wouldn't go more than one season without the manifold liner
That may be to long if is already cracked pretty bad

That may be to long if is already cracked pretty bad

OK, I hear you. That's what credit cards are for I suppose. If anyone on here has purchased one of these liners for their personal stove, please let me know what it cost you and how it's working out.

Thanks!

I don't know your stove, but what I think I'm looking at in your picture is the secondary burn tubes and manifold. So if it not a crack to the outside of the stove box it may not be a big issue, maybe. Although you might have loss if secondary air flow.

Hope I'm correct.

but what I think I'm looking at in your picture is the secondary burn tubes and manifold. So if it not a crack to the outside of the stove box it may not be a big issue, maybe. Although you might have loss if secondary air flow.
Hope I'm correct.
Yes which is why i said you can burn them like this it is not a safety issue. But it will get allot worse and at some point it will not be able to be fixed. At that point it will still be safe to burn but it will not work well at all.

I'd try brazing with some brass rod, doesn't take much heat and brass shouldn't re-crack.

I'd try brazing with some brass rod, doesn't take much heat and brass shouldn't re-crack.
It will not hold up to the heat or stresses in that spot i have seen it tried and no it does not work inside a stove

Maybe make your own cover plate, or have one made. Fill in the cracks with furnace cement, then install the plate over the cracks with S.S. bolts or screws.
A good welder could grind those out and do good weld job. If not done properly, they will come back in no time. And as bholler stated, they may likely come back, but may be worth a shot.
It appears to be contained to the inside of the stove, drilling stop holes at the ends of the cracks that aren't complete may help stop them from growing.

Reactions: bholler
Yes which is why i said you can burn them like this it is not a safety issue. But it will get allot worse and at some point it will not be able to be fixed. At that point it will still be safe to burn but it will not work well at all.

It may get worse or not. But I think its fine to run. The secondary burn tubes are typical lighter gauge. I would test the secondary burn system. Get a good hot fire going and then get the secondary burn going. See what it looks like. Then as Hog suggested smear a layer of furnace cement on it. And repeated the burn test. Does the secondary burn look better. If so you may want get it closed up. I don't think the cement will stay there very long. Just don't plug up the air feed with the cement.

Last edited:
I'm with Hog. Put a stainless steel patch over the area with some furnace cement under the patch. The patch should extend to where there is good metal. Use stainless screws or pop-rivets to hold it in place.

Reactions: bholler
I agree with begreen and hog that may work just fine it is worth a try for sure

Make sure to drill stop holes at the ends of the cracks first.
I saw some high temp refractory paste online today while looking for materials to make v2 hog gaskets out of. But the paste was expensive over $100.00 for a pint.

\

bholler, thanks very much for your input on this. i have contacted Quad directly and sent them photos (found a really nice rep in MN), asking about the plate repair kit -- no dice so far. if you have other ideas about how to get a parts # or other info, that would be great. thanks again!!

I don't know your stove, but what I think I'm looking at in your picture is the secondary burn tubes and manifold. So if it not a crack to the outside of the stove box it may not be a big issue, maybe. Although you might have loss if secondary air flow.

Hope I'm correct.

Hey -- just wanted to say thanks for your input! Still trying to find a repair option, but this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.