crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambobean

Jan 9, 2016
Scotland
I have a morso panther that is about 15 years old. We have mostly used it for burning coal but also wood. This year we have moved over to burning mostly wood. When having the chimney swept it was noticed that the back of the stove has a crack in it, probably caused by burning stove too hot at times with coal. I have looked into whether it is possible to replace the back. It is but would be expensive it would also need me to take the stove out and take it to be rebuilt. A friend has suggested that with the crack already there it will have relieved pressure and is unlikely to crack further, especially when burning wood. I was wondering if there are any suggestions of repairs I could do in situ over the winter (I will probably take it in for a new back next year).
I have a carbon monoxide detector in the room in case of any leaking fumes.

Welcome. It depends on how serious the crack is. Can you post a picture? If not too bad you could try drilling a small hole at the ends of the crack to help stop it from spreading. Smear some stove cement into it to stop it from being a source of combustion air. FWIW, our Jotul 602 has a crack in the back from a housesitter overfiring the stove. I put in a rear heat shield to protect the back and stabilized the crack. It hasn't spread, but the stove is only used occasionally now.

Reactions: Jambobean
+1 drill relief holes you do not have to drill all the way through unless the crack is indeed all the way through, take a light and look at it closely to make sure you are indeed at the end of the crack and drill down deep enough that the crack is no longer there and it should stop it from speading as the metal expands and contracts from heating and cooling.

You could possibly stop drill and weld it? Or is it cast iron as that would be tough to weld

Status
Not open for further replies.