Cracked clay liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xandrew4507x

Oct 3, 2014
South Central PA
I had my chimeny inspected a few years ago and they found a couple hair line cracks in the clay liner. Of course they said never to use the fire place due to this. I was wondering though what is the dangers of the liner being cracked and how dangerous would it be to burn a fire in it every now in then, less than once a month.

Where are they cracked and where in the chimney are the ones with the hair line cracks and what kind of chimney. Is the outside of the chimney brick, stone, block. Chimneys are built with the clay tiles having a air space all around them all the way up they are just held in place going up with some side supports block brick or even angle iron pieces. Most masons would say it is ok to still burn in occasionally. But no one wants to be held responsible if something happens. What about putting in some kind of liner. Just my opinion but I would still use it I was a mason for ten plus years. Just keep it clean.

From what I remember most of the cracks where near the bottom, right above the fire place. The chimeny is brick as well as my house. I only want to burn in it every now and then, like on christmas day. The chimney was cleaned when they inspected it and it hasn't been used since.

I think you would be fine the liners on the bottom right above your fireplace are tied in with your smoke chamber and surrounding face and outside brick this is a very dense block of material in a small area. I could see still using it I would just recommend keeping an eye on it clean it and possible look into a liner of some sort. What about eventually putting in an insert with a liner. My parents have a fireplace that after about thirty years of use the firebrick were starting to need replaced. They went with an insert and liner and have never looked back then you can burn 24/7.

I had my chimeny inspected a few years ago and they found a couple hair line cracks in the clay liner. Of course they said never to use the fire place due to this. I was wondering though what is the dangers of the liner being cracked and how dangerous would it be to burn a fire in it every now in then, less than once a month.
The first layer of protection between the heat of the chimney and any combustible materials in you house is comprimized. It can no longer contain the flue gasses and heat. I cant say if or when it will start a structure fire but the risk is absolutley higher. And the fact that it is at the bottom where the temps are highest is not a good thing.

An option would be to install an insert in the fireplace that is connected to a full, insulated stainless steel liner. That would be safe and would allow you to continue to enjoy the fireplace plus get much better heat.

Reactions: bholler
I usually don't burn wood (I use a coal stove in my basemen) but I wanted to use the fire place more for aesthetics than anything. I'm not really interested in spending the money to have it lined or the money for an insert since I just wont ever really use it. So I guess I'll just be without. Wanted to add as well, I have a full sized hearth pad in front of the fireplace so a stove is an option as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.