Cracked Combustor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
I just pulled my Cats down out of my High Valley 2500. They were suprisingly clean given im not burning all <20%MC wood. I try and usually have 35%or less, mostly closer to 30%. (Im trying to get 2 yrs ahead, after this season i will be burning all 1yr+ wood, should be insead of some 6month wood). Anyway none of them were plugged just some tiny as globs that blocked no more than 10% of the hole they were in. Some fly ash under them is all. But after sucking the fly ash out i looked close and could see many cracks in both. This is going on my 4th season on them (bought stove used and they told me they replaced them upon my request for the deal, this was a stove store). I have noticed a bit more smoke out of the chimney this last season (maybe its mind over matter? but i assumed it cause of wood that was not as good that year). They seem to take longer to clean up the smoke once engaged but there is only wisps of smoke out of it and you really have to look to spot it comeing out.

My theory on the cracks is like i said less than optimal wood and engageing the cats to fast? Or opening when the cats were to hot and they cool air cracking them??

I guess there fine to run with these cracks in them as there still cleaning the smoke to what i beleive an acceptable amount? What do you experts say?

I'd buy a replacement set to have on hand. Don't have to install them tomorrow. Just wait until you think you are losing the battle with these. With less than ideal wood again for this year, I'd be tempted to try and get through this season with them and save the new cats for good fuel. However, if they aren't performing, then it's time to swap regardless.

Do you measure your cat temps? See any difference there?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Usually hairline cracks aren't a problem and the cat may still work fine as long as its still held together and not crumbling. If yours is four years old it may be wise to buy a spare to have on had in case it poops out on you this year.

Yes there basically hairline. There is no crumbling. They still have there square holes no pieces that i saw, at least on the top, are missing. NO plugged holes or anything. I cleaned them the same way last year but either they were not cracked or i just did not look close enough to notice them?

I do measure Cat temps with a probe, but i did not get the probe till last year so i have no baseline to the previous year? I can compare this year to last though. I should be a bit better off for wood this year than last and the next year will be way better. But anyway i am definitly getting into the good area for temps they glow cheery red when i remove the probe i can see one of them.

Yes there basically hairline. There is no crumbling. They still have there square holes no pieces that i saw, at least on the top, are missing. NO plugged holes or anything. I cleaned them the same way last year but either they were not cracked or i just did not look close enough to notice them?

I do measure Cat temps with a probe, but i did not get the probe till last year so i have no baseline to the previous year? I can compare this year to last though. I should be a bit better off for wood this year than last and the next year will be way better. But anyway i am definitly getting into the good area for temps they glow cheery red when i remove the probe i can see one of them.

Sounds like it's working, however, I'd still save the jingle up and get a spare. You know you're going to need them eventually, might as well be prepared.

pen

I will do that Pen. Thats usually how i operate. I buy whatever i need in anticipation of usuing it in the future so that its on hand.

My tractor basically is mail order only parts. All the usuall stuff i use or anticipate needing i try to keep on hand. Like filters and such. My farm mower is the same way, try and keep spare wear items on hand as its so far from my house were on there on the weekend when most stuff in that area is closed and i have no phone or inet access there and have to ride to town to even get cell reception.

I will save up for this winter and buy them and keep on hand. I may be surprised and get another year or 2 out of them. BUt untill after this year when i will be burning at least 1yr+ old wood im not going to swap them out yet. I will try this winter to cut another 2 years worth of wood, like i did last winter so that i will be ready for the future much better than i have been.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.