1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Q&A Cracked flue tiles

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

I have recently purchased an older home built approximately 1939. It has a masonry fireplace. I have recently had it swept for the 1st time and they revealed to me a crack in the flue tiles. I wanted to convert the fireplace to gas logs. Do I need to have a liner installed? I asked the sweep to check into this, but they only sent me a bid for a liner to replace the cracked tiles. I also seem to be confused about the vented vs vent free logs. I do not want to use as primary heating, but do not see the point w/out some heat being provided to the room? Please help with any further advice. Thanks for your time.

Answer:

Virtually all clay fireplace tiles have cracks in them, a problem which is often not a big deal...especially with the use of gas logs.

If you do not mind the fire not being as realistic, you can install vent-free logs and use them with the damper opened most of the time. This will still provide some room warmth.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.