Cracked Glass on Quadra Fire Exproler 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RichardA

Oct 6, 2016
Wake Forest NC
Hello all,
I had my stove installed three months ago and have been using it constantly for the last two month, and then last night the glass cracked. We always heat her up slowly and then with the exception of at night when we are sleeping, maintain a temp between 610 and 630. I have contacted the manufacture and sometime in the next 30 days I will have this fixed. As you can imagine, being the middle of winter this news was a bit tough to swallow.

My question is, is there a short term fix I can due myself so I can continue using my stove? Attached is a photo a shortly after it cracked. I am guessing that when the door expanded it it the glass.

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• Fireplace crack.jpg
    Fireplace crack.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 450
I have the same stove and I wouldn't use it anymore until the glass was replaced unless you have the fire screen.

I have the same stove and I wouldn't use it anymore until the glass was replaced unless you have the fire screen.

I suspect that many stove owners have run their stoves with cracked glass, depending upon how well it is still being retained in the door. Chimneysweeponline had this to say: "We've had customers continue to use their woodstoves for months with cracked viewing windows." (article here: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howindow.htm)

For liability reasons, the manufacturers have to say NOT to burn w/ cracked glass.

Hopefully Quad will replace that on warranty -- some stove manufacturers (like PE) refuse to replace a simple crack. Cracks like this, they blame on the owner for pushing a piece into stove w/ the glass. However, this can, though infrequently, just happen from stress, usually the glass warping a bit (less frequently a door warp). My glass cracked when the stove was dead cold, in the summer, just sitting there one evening & popped! No detectable reason whatsoever!

GlassCrackOutside2.jpg

Last edited:
Why so long for the repair?

I suspect that many stove owners have run their stoves with cracked glass, depending upon how well it is still being retained in the door. Chimneysweeponline had this to say: "We've had customers continue to use their woodstoves for months with cracked viewing windows." (article here: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howindow.htm)

For liability reasons, the manufacturers have to say NOT to burn w/ cracked glass.

Hopefully Quad will replace that on warranty -- some stove manufacturers (like PE) refuse to replace a simple crack. Cracks like this, they blame on the owner for pushing a piece into stove w/ the glass. However, this can, though infrequently, just happen from stress, usually the glass warping a bit (less frequently a door warp). My glass cracked when the stove was dead cold, in the summer, just sitting there one evening & popped! No detectable reason whatsoever!

View attachment 192475

the crack you are showing I would still burn, but the OP has a crack that is it falls out or compromises more will expose almost half of the fire box.

Why so long for the repair?
Busy season..They said 7 to 10 days for the dealer to come out and determine the cause, then another week for the part to arrive, and then another 7 to 10 days for them to come back out. I told them to send me the part and let the dealer make the call onsite as to who will pay for it but they said thats now how they do things. This is what happens when a big company uses human robots to answer the phones.

Busy season..They said 7 to 10 days for the dealer to come out and determine the cause, then another week for the part to arrive, and then another 7 to 10 days for them to come back out. I told them to send me the part and let the dealer make the call onsite as to who will pay for it but they said thats now how they do things. This is what happens when a big company uses human robots to answer the phones.
That's sh%#y. I would tell your installer to take the glass out of his floor model and let you borrow it until the new glass comes in. I understand this maybe his busy season and he may have a lot on his plate but I would think this kind of falls under the "emergency" status seeing as how this shuts your stove down until it can be repaired. Is this your only source of heat?

That's sh%#y. I would tell your installer to take the glass out of his floor model and let you borrow it until the new glass comes in. I understand this maybe his busy season and he may have a lot on his plate but I would think this kind of falls under the "emergency" status seeing as how this shuts your stove down until it can be repaired. Is this your only source of heat?
My original installer botched the liner when he installed the stove and I had it all done over. Needless to say, that schmuck is not allowed in my house. I have an complete HVAC system in my house, but my house is a split level and this stove is the only thing that really heats the lower level. The stove also heats the rest of the house pretty good too.

Still. I'd tell the dealer to bring the glass with him, determine cause while it's being switched out. Frig waiting on a decision first? The decision part would only seem to affect whether you pay anything or not? Regardless it needs to be fixed.

My original installer botched the liner when he installed the stove and I had it all done over. Needless to say, that schmuck is not allowed in my house. I have an complete HVAC system in my house, but my house is a split level and this stove is the only thing that really heats the lower level. The stove also heats the rest of the house pretty good too.
That is what we are pushing to do. This issue right now is that the person in customer service really only fields the calls and only has generic responses, Once the department that actually handles these calls takes offer we may be able to make this happen this way,

Reactions: Squisher
That still doesn't seem clear to me? The dealer you bought the stove from has a customer service department? I'd be talking directly to the person I'd bought the stove from, and getting some glass coming. Or is the dealer you bought from the schmuck installer you referred to? I could never wait weeks in the winter if I only had one stove. I mean I could, as I have a forced air natural gas furnace, but I never would. The expense of the gas and the crying of my wife and daughter would be more than I could bare. I would pull out all the stops. Get me my glass!

Up until last winter I never owned a stove with a glass door, and while I love being able to see the fire and I'd never go back to a solid door I've considered what an inconvenience having the glass break could be.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you as quickly as possible for you.

That still doesn't seem clear to me? The dealer you bought the stove from has a customer service department? I'd be talking directly to the person I'd bought the stove from, and getting some glass coming. Or is the dealer you bought from the schmuck installer you referred to? I could never wait weeks in the winter if I only had one stove. I mean I could, as I have a forced air natural gas furnace, but I never would. The expense of the gas and the crying of my wife and daughter would be more than I could bare. I would pull out all the stops. Get me my glass!

Up until last winter I never owned a stove with a glass door, and while I love being able to see the fire and I'd never go back to a solid door I've considered what an inconvenience having the glass break could be.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you as quickly as possible for you.
I am dealing with the customer service department at Quadra Fire. Going through the dealer is out of the question. Honestly, though I would like the glass covered by warranty, my biggest concern is making sure their is nothing major wrong and that the new piece is installed correctly.