Cracked Thimble Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2014
MD
Update Below is the pictures I have taken with the stove pulled out. I want to replace the 18” pipe with 24” going through the terracotta thimble. The thimble is cracked, and has had some cement between the 18” pipe and terracotta thimble. In one of the pics a piece of the terracotta I could remove and looks like the bricks are just stacked up and mortared together. I see a fastener that goes around the tee and draws the 18” pipe tight against it. If I loosen and remove the pipe does it have part of the fastener attached to it? If so then I can’t use the new 24” piece of pipe?

20150101_172156.jpg 20150101_172227.jpg 20150101_172240.jpg 20150101_172256.jpg 20150101_172311.jpg

Thanks

I'm moving your last post to it's own thread into the Classic Forum where it will generate more views since it's not Fisher related.

The tee snout is matched to the tee. I'm not sure if you can mix and match brands. What is the intent of adding 6" to the snout? Maybe just a short extension of single wall can be added?

My wood stove was about 8" from my masonry wall. Prior to pulling the stove out I didn't know what was behind the wall. The wall was very hot to the touch and not knowing the clearances or what material behind the wall, I wanted to move it away. I ended up cutting the 24" pipe to 12" plus the 9" 45 elbow gets me 21" from the wall now. I plan to remove the masonry chimney this summer and install triple wall stacked pipe all the way up and through the thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.