1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Craftsman, Huskee, Pittsburg or Stanley !

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Pallet Pete, Nov 3, 2012.

1. bfunk13

bfunk13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wyoming
    I have always had good luck with Craftsman tools.
    Unless you want to spend the money on Snap-on or the higher end stuff.
    I have returned 3 tools to Sears in my career with no questions asked. Broke a wrench, socket driver and a crescent. All replaced.
    I guess it depends on what you are using them for, if i was a full time mechanic i might look at the higher dollar stuff.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    So then the question is - are there any American made tools that are reasonably priced for us weekend mechanics who cant afford SnapOn ?
  3. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY

Even some of Snapon is made outside the country. Taking the US made out of the equation, I would go with Craftsman, Kobolt or Husky.
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Armstrong is US made but it is in the SnapOn price range.

Pete
  5. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    SK is made in Illinois. Cheaper then SnapOn but better quality then Craftsman (in my personal experience).
    MasterMech likes this.
  6. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    S-K Tools are a great choice too, I forgot about them. They were about belly up a few years ago but I understand they are still making tools. I think they changed their return policy to where you send the broken back to the factory rather than where you bought them.
  7. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    They got bought out by Ideal a year or two ago. Ideal makes (some or all, don't know) their tools in Illinois too.

I have a small box of Craftsman tools to return still, bent wrenches and cracked sockets. I am just as hard on my SK tools and after 3 years have not had one failure.
  8. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia