Craigslist Ad - What Do You Think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
http://salem.craigslist.org/for/2840972669.html - This is green wood and is already cut and split.

Poplar firewood. $40.00 per pick-up load (stack it as high as you want!) Call Dave for more information and to schedule a time to pick some up. 503-930-9279. McNary Golf Club is located at the north end of Keizer, just off River Road North, at 155 McNary Estates Drive, Keizer, OR 97303. (We are down to about 6 loads left as of Friday afternoon, 2-17-12)

What do you think about a load of cut and split poplar for 40 bucks?

I gave away all my Poplar and Aspen firewood for free. I even helped load it onto a trailer.

I would never pay for it. Most of it, I just leave on the ground to rot.

I see those here too. Last one I saw was willow. Lol. I take it free, but if I'm paying for wood, it's going to be split. We've been lucky enough to scrounge wood like that free. f you don't have enough, I'd say it's not a terrible deal, but not a great one. Depends on your truck though-if you've got an HD with wood stake sides you can really fill, it's a better deal than a light duty mini truck.

eclecticcottage said:
I take it free, but if I'm paying for wood, it's going to be split.
Supposedly it is split, albeit green.
Oregon Bigfoot said:
http://salem.craigslist.org/for/2840972669.html - This is green wood and is already cut and split.
The stuff I gave away for free was split too and partially seasoned. I have another big Aspen to take down. I'm sure I will have to buck and split it to get someone to take it for free too.

I've burned a lot of poplar this year and it kept my house nice and warm. It depends on how you are set for wood. Split and stack it now and it will be ready next fall no problem. I wasn't picky at all last year because I was struggling to get any kind of dry wood. If you are into buying wood it's probably not a bad deal depending on your truck. I'm sure you could do better somewhere but hey, it depends on how you are set for next year and on your scrounging abilities.

Poplar is such a light wood and it burns fairly quickly. Think pine without the pitch.
I had a 24" base 50' tall one I took down next to my garage a few years ago.
Seasons fast and works well for shoulder season, pretty much have to reload every couple hours with it.

I called the guy today. I asked him how much are guys getting in a load. He said some a cord or more. I told him I have a short bed F-150 with a canopy and can't get much more than 1/2 cord per my load, and if he can give me a break, because it would take two loads of my truck to equal one load of most other guys. He said sure, $25 or $20 after he looks at the truck to verify. They are taking down some more poplar later this week, and it should be cut/split within about 2 weeks. They are about out of the current wood.

I think I will go for it, and get one load, maybe two. Two loads, and I'd be two years ahead. I have 6 truck loads of hard wood (mostly oak, some ash and hawthorne) split and stacked since last year at my sister's property, and 2 loads of fir split and stacked in my driveway. I need another load of easy to start wood, and this will work fine. Its only about 5 miles from my house, and I'd spend easily $20 in gas going any distance for free wood. I'll miss running my saw and maul, with all the work already done, but I'll get to stack it, and get some cardio out of it.

a local guy around me was giving 20+ cords (cords, full cords) of softwood for free. Was a mix of all different types... He was trying to sell it for 50/cord + delivery but nobody would buy it.
The only catch was that you had to pick it up yourself to get it for free. I called and asked for delivery + a little extra for his time, but I was pretty far from him and decided it wouldn't be worth it after the delivery cost.
If I had a truck I wouldn't have hesitated though...

I'm burning some poplar now. It's free from my own property.
I wouldn't pay for it. If cash is leaving your pocket, pay for a better species of hard wood.
We buy 10 cord/year tree length hardwood, and mix in free softwood from my own land.
(we shove 15+ cord in the Econoburn / year)

Oregon Bigfoot said:
I told him I have a short bed F-150 with a canopy and can't get much more than 1/2 cord per my load...
A cord of seasoned Poplar would weigh somewhere around 2200 lbs, and green, could be close to twice that. Can your F-150 carry 2000 lbs?

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

I really get a kick out of sellers that say they can put a cord in the back of a pickup! Most times, they are talking about a face or a rick, not a cord.

LLigetfa said:
Oregon Bigfoot said:
I told him I have a short bed F-150 with a canopy and can't get much more than 1/2 cord per my load...
A cord of seasoned Poplar would weigh somewhere around 2200 lbs, and green, could be close to twice that. Can your F-150 carry 2000 lbs?

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

I really get a kick out of sellers that say they can put a cord in the back of a pickup! Most times, they are talking about a face or a rick, not a cord.

Why do you hate poplar? It burns at least as good as pine, hot and fast.

I don't know how I missed it was split, I was thinking it was rounds. Doh.

Hass said:
a local guy around me was giving 20+ cords (cords, full cords) of softwood for free. Was a mix of all different types... He was trying to sell it for 50/cord + delivery but nobody would buy it.
The only catch was that you had to pick it up yourself to get it for free. I called and asked for delivery + a little extra for his time, but I was pretty far from him and decided it wouldn't be worth it after the delivery cost.
If I had a truck I wouldn't have hesitated though...

Recently? General area? You're south of me, if it was north of you it might be worth it for us, depending...

My opinion is that this is a rip off. $40.00 for a pickup load of ash or cherry, fine. Poplar? no way.

I'm with LLigetfa, no way a 1/2T shortbox can haul a cord(well safely anyways).
A heaping load on Ol Blue without side boards 20" length Split green oak is ~1/2 cord stacked.
The poplar is alot lighter so I wouldn't hesitate to fill it up.
I have a set of add a leafs/overload springs so it doesn't bottom out closest it ever came to that was 1-1/2yds of loam talk about white knuckles.

No one said a 1/2 ton short box was going to haul a cord in one trip. Mine can fit a hair more than 1/2 a cord cut, split, and stacked. It would take my truck two loads for me to get a cord. They are willing to let me fill my truck for $25 for one load (about .55 to .6 cord) or $40 for two loads, which should equal about 1.1 to 1.2 cords give or take, and its already cut and split.

I don't need the wood for overnight burns in mid winter. I need the wood for fire starting purposes, to get hot fast, and for the beginning and ending of the season, when I don't want to use the oak. As we know, oak just is not the easiest starting wood, and not many of us burn 100% hardwood, we have "shoulder season" wood a term I learned here on hearth.com.

I'll save on gas and time, since it's only 5 miles away, and already cut and split. I'm going for a load, maybe two.

I've decided this is a good deal. Free is better, but this still is a good deal.

A split pickup load of any kind of wood for $25 cant be too bad a deal. For me, I wouldnt just because I'm so far ahead.

I have a F150 Supercrew. I figure packed tight and high I can squeeze 1/3 of a cord in there.

I don't mind burning poplar . . . not sure I would want to spend a whole lot of money (well any money) on buying it though. Definitely a decent wood for the shoulder season burning.

you haul it away for them for free- even and at best cut and split otherwise you are being taken!
feel free to say NO to peeps or you will get taken for a chump! FREE wood is ok but not if you pay for it. Walk away from this poplar if they want money for it!

Have to agree w/Jake...I have some poplar, will burn poplar, but will not pay for poplar. I've seen many CL ads for free poplar in the PDX area, but I don't even feel like it's worth the gas and effort to process.

Status
Not open for further replies.