Craigslist deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Saw this add this morning...

firewood - $70 (eastern nc)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-11, 9:14AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we have full size truck loads of wood for $70 a cord is $140 a dumptruck load is $300 all you have to do is make one call and we will take car of the rest . it is cut and split and when we get there we stack it were you want it. 45 miles delievered for free no one beats our deals one call does it all call joe @252-402-6669 thanks so much

was wondering about the dump truck load, how much wood do you think is in that?

Any tricks on finding out if a seller on CL is legit or selling junk? I usually ask when wood was split to see how long it may have actually been seasoning...

Give them a call and ask them what type of wood, how much the dump truck holds, when was it split, etc.,. You should be able to tell a little bit about the person by how he answers the questions...whether he's patient and understanding or whether he's rushed and aggravated by the questions. Then draw your own conclusions. You might even ask if he has a reference in your area.

Don't forget to cover the point about wood length...it'd be bad to get a dump load of 20" splits when your stove holds a maximum of 18". :bug:

Ed

Intheswamp said:
You should be able to tell a little bit about the person by how he answers the questions.... :bug:

Ed

you make a good point, I called a guy the other day and he asked me what a cord was... I informed him and he said "yeah sure thats what we got".... i didnt buy from him.....

Remmy122 said:
Intheswamp said:
You should be able to tell a little bit about the person by how he answers the questions.... :bug:

Ed

you make a good point, I called a guy the other day and he asked me what a cord was... I informed him and he said "yeah sure thats what we got".... i didnt buy from him.....
I don't blame you for not giving that guy your business, good move. The first wood I bought was from a guy I knew who I thought should know more than me. He's actually been selling firewood for several years around here. Anyhow, I called him and he assured me he'd treat me right..."regular" pickup truck load for $75 delivered. Ok, it's a deal. Only problem was that it ended up being a step-side, short wheelbase truck and I barely got over 1/4 cord including some really fuzzball looking pieces that in no way will fit inside my F3CB. He said he'd get me some more wood but I haven't seen him yet...been a little over a month now, I think. Well, I checked out our local "for sale" newspapers and Craigslist. I found a guy in the neighboring county (closest one I could find) that was selling a pickup truck load for $70 and I called him. I liked the way he talked and he said he deliver to me for no extra charge since I was fairly near to him a few miles across the county line. Anyhow, the loads are heaped up inside of a dualie bed (does have a toobox in back so cuts length down to 6.5') for $70. I'm getting over 1/2 cord of wood along with a chunk of lighter'd wood with each load. Even got about a 1/4 cord of dry wood thrown in. So, after a little searching and a phone call I'm getting over twice the wood for $5 less. The thing is this, once I saw that the deal was very good (got it stacked and re-split smaller) I called him back and order four more loads. When you find a good supplier go ahead and stock up if you're able to. Look around, there's some good dealers and deals out there...might take a little trial and error, though.

Best wishes,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.