craigslist follies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

86turbodsl

Mar 25, 2008
Michigan
I've come to the conclusion that nobody selling on craigslist has clue #1 about what the heck dry wood is.

I'm 0 for 3 on getting nice dry stuff for my BIS ultima.

Everyone seems to think that cutting wood down and splitting it 3 weeks before you sell it is good practice.
Doesn't anyone read?

I try to screen my wood, but it's very tough to do a moisture test on a significant amount of wood, and these
slicksters all put the driest stuff on the top of the pile!

I had a craigslist vendor tell me he had ready to burn wood, and he brings 2/3 of a cord stacked in his truck. First I measure it, and we agree it's 2/3 cord. Then, I take a piece and split it open and pull out the moisture meter. It measured 35%. I explain to him politely that I can't burn it unless it's less than 20%, that the wood he brought I can't use until next year.

I shuffle my feet a bit... Then I offered him $10 in gas money and to compensate him for his time, or that I could give him $100 for what was in his truck. He took the $100, and I stacked it up to dry for next year. At least it was a decent price -- around here it's $200+/cord for green.

Around here, it's $50-60 a face cord, everyone's the same price, and they are all cutting down standing dead, and letting it sit for 3-4 weeks before sale.
Sorry guys, that's not cutting it. The first guy I bought from, was splitting off a huge pile when I got there. He bucks it in the woods, brings it back dumps in a pile
and splits and stacks it. The second guy, after I screened him on dryness, brought over 2 face cords, I asked him if this was the driest stuff he had, and he said
yep. When did he split it? 3 weeks ago. He also mentioned he loved the outdoor woodburner guys. Well, you don't say....

I haven't bought any yet but I might need to.
There is a guy on CL here who differentiates in his ad prices between stuff that is "seasoned" 3-6 months and a year. That seemed kind of promising, that he is acknowledging the value difference makes me think it might actually be seasoned - but who knows. Here's cut and pasted:

$160 FULL CORD SEASONED 3-5 MONTHS

$210 FULL CORD SEASONED 1*YRS

$440 FULL DUMP TRUCK - 3 CORDS SEASONED 3-5 MONTHS

$590 FULL DUMP TRUCK- 3 CORDS SEASONED 1*YRS

If it's oak, 1 year doesn't even cut it. We've got oak and cherry here mainly. Some of my stuff is so wet, it bubbles hisses and runs out when burning.

tickbitty said:
I haven't bought any yet but I might need to.
There is a guy on CL here who differentiates in his ad prices between stuff that is "seasoned" 3-6 months and a year. That seemed kind of promising, that he is acknowledging the value difference makes me think it might actually be seasoned - but who knows. Here's cut and pasted:

$160 FULL CORD SEASONED 3-5 MONTHS

$210 FULL CORD SEASONED 1*YRS

$440 FULL DUMP TRUCK - 3 CORDS SEASONED 3-5 MONTHS

$590 FULL DUMP TRUCK- 3 CORDS SEASONED 1*YRS

Be sure to ask him how he guarantees that it's a full cord / full 3 cords. Correct answers are "I stack it out in the truck and we measure it before I dump it" and "I'll dump it, you pay me 1/2, stack it out and then pay me the rest after you measure it." If the guys says "I know how much a cord is" or "I have a fill line on my truck"... or if he's using a bucket loader, beware. A "loose filled" truck will hold about 40% less wood than if it's tightly stacked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.