Craigslist Free Wood Strategy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I'm browsing "Firewood" for sale on Craigslist, sometimes good deals or miscategorized free wood is there. I see an ad that looks like it's from a homeowner. $100 for half cord of oak it says. I send a response. Knowing that firewood sales don't happen much until the first cold snap in late fall, I offer to take it away, free of charge. I got a call the next day. Homeowner tired of this wood in his driveway. Nice truckload of 12" rounds of free oak. Shorter than I like but can't beat the price, and it was just 10 minutes from home.

Attachments

• IMG_20130518_121726.jpg
    IMG_20130518_121726.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 174
  • oakwood.jpg
    oakwood.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 154
Nice score
Looks like some noodling may still be needed.
27 ton might handle it , but looks like a few gnarly ones might be a challenge for it.;)

Most of it is knot free. Think I'll take some whacks at it with the X-27

Nice haul there. I also look at the firewood for sale ads, but usually for insane price amusement. But sometimes people drop the price to free, and it remains on the 'for sale' lists. I got some magnolia that way 2 years ago. I agree with Dave, and I would (and have) noodled odd oak rounds like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.