craigslist radiater deal ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
found a listing on craigs list for 10 hanging panel radiators new in wrapping. for $175.00 each 5 - 2'x4' and 5- 18" x 5' about 9000 btu each. It dosn't say brand and I dont want to call the guy at 11pm. So a couple questions before I talkto him.
1 Am I correct that this is a good deal for even a cheap brand ?

2 can I adjust the output of these with flow valves on manifold enough that I could use the same size in a bathroom or small bedroom?

3 I only need 6 would anyone be interested in the other 4

The brand of these are Stelrad made in Canada 10 year warranty. He said he would take $150 each. Is this a fair price ? Is it ok to oversize and install thermostatic heads?

I had never come across them while researching panel rads but they seem pretty nice. I'd say that's either a good price or a really good price but that may depend on the thickness and quality of the metal? I remember reading about corrosion in some panel rads- not sure of the brands discussed. Lots of good reading about them over here:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-category/76/THE-MAIN-WALL

Over sizing panel rads is a great way to utilize lower temp water in your system. Maybe use a Grunfos Alpha or similar pump on continuous circulation. A mixing valve with outdoor reset and TRV's on the radiators and you would have a very slick euro style system.

TRV's are non electric Thermostatic Radiator Valves. Very cool little devices.

Best of luck,
Noah

Well I ended up buying 5 of the rads for $730 and a towel warmer that he didn't even have advertised for $150.00 . Still need to order 1 rad (different size than what had)
Now to get them plumbed up... He also had thermostatic valves but wasn't sure what they were worth so I didn't get them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.