crazy ash pondering - for those familiar with lump charcoal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlaurinaitis

Oct 28, 2010
Chicago Suburbs
My smoker/grill is a big green egg brand, which uses lump charcoal, not briquets.

When I clean my stove, I have pieces of charwood mixed in with the ash dust.

If I were to sift the charwood coals(after cooling, of course), could I use them for fuel in my smoker grill?

Are these pieces the same as lump charcoal? Do they burn up fast after relighting? Is this a stupid idea? Am I being a cheap skate?

I plan on using the ash dust on my trees and in the flower beds, and so far, I have been spreading the whole mixture out.

If I dumped the ash/charwood mixture into a fertilizer spreader, spread the ash dust on the lawn, would that be beneficial for the lawn?

I know these are silly questions, but what can I do will all the ash I will end up with and is it worth seperating the two parts?

I was just wondering the other day (while dumping ash into the composter) about other beneficial uses for ash.
About the charcoal idea, I think it would kinda work. The way I see it, left over stove coals are sorta like charcoal that has been partially burnt already. If you mixed some in with regular charcoal I don't see why it wouldn't work. Whether it's worth it is up to you. You're not a cheapskate if you enjoy what you do to conserve. Best use for those coals would be trying to burn them more completely in the stove.

Ash is beneficial to your soil & any plants IF your soil is on the acidic side, as it's very basic and can raise the ph. I f youre soil is basic, ash will make it worse.

I'd love to hear more uses for ash. My compost will only take so much...

MrFood said:
My smoker/grill is a big green egg brand, which uses lump charcoal, not briquets.

Nice! I've got the Large one, myself

If I were to sift the charwood coals(after cooling, of course), could I use them for fuel in my smoker grill?

Why not? Give it a shot & let us know how it works...Of course you could always leave them in the stove & burn them to ash...

Are these pieces the same as lump charcoal? Do they burn up fast after relighting? Is this a stupid idea? Am I being a cheap skate?

They are lump charcoal, but are they hardwood? That's what the BGE likes best

I plan on using the ash dust on my trees and in the flower beds, and so far, I have been spreading the whole mixture out.

If I dumped the ash/charwood mixture into a fertilizer spreader, spread the ash dust on the lawn, would that be beneficial for the lawn?

Should be good for the lawn

I know these are silly questions, but what can I do will all the ash I will end up with and is it worth seperating the two parts?

If the charcoal works in the BGE, yes!

Lump charcoal is just
wood that has outgassed, then been cooled. I make my own thru the winter when I get a very deep coal bed. I just take a few shovels out and cool them in a bucket of water. I let them sit in the water for a few minutes to cool, then drain it and spread it out on an old window screen for a week or two to dry. Two to three gallons in a plastic bucket works fine. Water absorbs a tremndous amount of btu's, and the water gets barely warm. Not quite bath water, but comfortable for handwashing is how I would describe it.

Of course, I am doing this on the concrete floor of my basement. Prolly not a project for the living room.

On the downside, I end up with a lot of very small pieces. Still works, just burns hot and fast. From my limited understanding of the Big Green Egg, that shouldn't be a big problem.

The BGE is on the short list of presents to by myself at tax refund time. Someday the time will come when I don't desparately need that cash and I can waste a little. Maybe I shouldn't say waste, but invest it in something fun that I don't need.

I make my own charcoal for grilling and BBQ, but I also buy about 100 pounds of lump as well. I only do it to get rid of coal beds that got away from me. Can't stand to throw out any fuel at all.

You think you're cheap, I've been using a deep-fry skimmer to sift the small coals out of my ashes. I dump then in a pile in front of the air inlet and let them take off from there. Might as well begin with at least a few coals, even on a cold start up.

Ashes on the garden raise the pH and also provide abundant potash, an essential plant nutrient. Don't put it on your vegetables if you are one of those who insist on burning garbage against all advice. Never know what trace bad stuff is in the trash. As was mentioned, if you have basic soil (like a lot of western states), don't put it on without adding something to lower the pH again. Even if you have a neutral soil, use it somewhat sparingly on the veggies. However, I'm sure the lawn would be fine with all you can generate.

Some of the hardwood charcoal that I have bought is outgassed hardwood flooring, (you can tell by the shape) so I am sure you could use them in your smoker, you are just making the charcoal yourself.

Another use for ash is in driveway for traction in the snow/ice.

You can get 1/4 mesh screen from the hardware store. Make a box with that as the bottom and it work great for sifting ashes. My Grandpa used to do that all the time to get all the nails out of the ash.

Although charcoal is very good for the soil it promotes microprobe growth that is necessary for good plant growth. I have been thinking of making a charcoal burner to clear up a lot of brush around my place and dumping it in my fields. I wonder if I can get carbon credits from it?

Billy

MrFood said:

MrFood, you are indeed cheap. However, go ahead and use them as it just makes good sense. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.