Crazy Wood Splitters.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
While perusing YouTube (once again) I noted that there are a lot of homemade rigs for log splitting. Some that made me laugh, and some that scared the be-Jesssezzz outa me.

Care to put up a video of your contraption? I'd love to see some of the homemade splitters in action here.

Videos preferred.........

Here's an example of what I'm lookin for:

-Soupy1957

You can have it.

Backwoods Savage said:
You can have it.
Now that's a crazy splitter there in your avatar. Pretty much have to sit down to use it like that. Since God made us to walk upright, it is almost unholy.

If God did not intend for us to sit while splitting he would not have given us an arse nor would he have made the knees to bend into the right position.

Not too crazy but definitely redneck special. Only log splitter I ever saw with headlights! Works good. Pretty standard design.

Backwoods Savage said:
If God did not intend for us to sit while splitting he would not have given us an arse nor would he have made the knees to bend into the right position.
LOL I think the arse and the knees were designed for solid waste removal. If God meant for you to sit, he wouldn't have made man wait a few million years to invent the milk crate. He would have built it in.

The scariest splitter I saw was made from an old hay baler.

I figure these splitters must be kind of like the V-8 powered chainsaws, crazy and only for those who don't mind missing a limb or two.

48rob said:
Not too crazy but definitely redneck special. Only log splitter I ever saw with headlights! Works good. Pretty standard design.

Looks pretty good!
Just need the seat for the operator...

Rob

Headlights? Seats? Here is one...

They say you can do just about anything with an old cub. However I dont really know why you would want to completely dedicate a tractor for such a use... atleast make it a detachable tow behind or something.

Attachments

• Cub splitter 1.jpg
    Cub splitter 1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 777
  • Cub splitter 2.jpg
    Cub splitter 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 656
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
I dont really know why you would want to completely dedicate a tractor for such a use...

I don't know, man. Around here you can pick up a gear drive cub that runs decent for a couple of hundred bucks. There is the engine and rolling chassis all in one. And you could tow a cart behind it. That design gets a thumbs up from this ol' country boy.

Gary_602z said:
.... and steering wheel! :)

Gary

Is that so you can split around corners?

Btw, it looks like that thing has a suspension. Unlike store bought rigs, I bet you can tow them at speed on the highway.

HeatsTwice said:
Gary_602z said:
.... and steering wheel! :)

Gary

Is that so you can split around corners?
It's a racing model... Go FAST, Turn Left.

Well, at least a FEW of you got the idea...........more "videos" please.

Oh, by the way, "ccwhite"...........I noted your son's Green Bay Packers sticker. Must be tough being a cheese head in the Buckeye state, eh?!
Also, there is a very famous Catholic University in Steubenville, as I'm sure you know.

-Soupy1957

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
LOL I think the arse and the knees were designed for solid waste removal. If God meant for you to sit, he wouldn't have made man wait a few million years to invent the milk crate. He would have built it in.

The scariest splitter I saw was made from an old hay baler.

now you know that eventually that guys gonna get popped in the chicklets!! ouch!!

soupy1957 said:
Well, at least a FEW of you got the idea...........more "videos" please.

Oh, by the way, "ccwhite"...........I noted your son's Green Bay Packers sticker. Must be tough being a cheese head in the Buckeye state, eh?!
Also, there is a very famous Catholic University in Steubenville, as I'm sure you know.

-Soupy1957

That's funny. We were talking about that after shooting that video. No cheeseheads here!! Steelers fans! Got the jacket for free and its warm and he'll grow out of it after this winter .... good firewood & sled riding coat.

Pittsburgh's going to the Superbowl!!! Here we go!!!

Jags said:
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
I dont really know why you would want to completely dedicate a tractor for such a use...

I don't know, man. Around here you can pick up a gear drive cub that runs decent for a couple of hundred bucks. There is the engine and rolling chassis all in one. And you could tow a cart behind it. That design gets a thumbs up from this ol' country boy.

I guess if you put it like that then maybe. Being an old cub fanatic to me it seems like butchering one lol but hey if you got a bunch and they only go for a couple hundred I guess why not. I'd love to have an old 100 like that one but you dont see em that often and they are usually a little bit more $ than that if they are in decent running shape. Any way you look at it though its still neat. Wish you could sit on the seat and split though!

soupy1957 said:
.......more "videos" please.
Sorry about the "pic" only - youtube is blocked here, can't access it and when ever anyone posts youtube videos they just show as empty boxes on my screen. I only really get on here at work...

48rob said:
This one is cool!

Well, it would be if I could figure out how to get it from there, to here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0JXybkcB4&feature=related

Holy moly! Watch the guy's head, about 10 seconds into the video, as he reaches down to pick up the next round. If he had leaned forward another inch or two, that splitter would have split his skull (through the hat).

Not a one of these guys were wearing ear and eye protection.

DanCorcoran said:
48rob said:
This one is cool!

Well, it would be if I could figure out how to get it from there, to here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0JXybkcB4&feature=related

Holy moly! Watch the guy's head, about 10 seconds into the video, as he reaches down to pick up the next round. If he had leaned forward another inch or two, that splitter would have split his skull (through the hat).

In the comments under the video, he says that is why he wears the big hat, warns him if he gets to close. It's his splitter PPE hat!

Status
Not open for further replies.