Creative Ideas for Seasoning Wood....?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
Hello All..... I have an interesting situation and need some suggestions. I just started burning again this year. Most of my wood (8 cords or so) is not ready to burn. Some of the wood has moisture content in the mid-20% but most is over 30%. I have a neighbor who is not wintering in the area this year and has about 1 1/2 cords of very dry wood in his barn that he said I could use as long as I replace what I use. Most of that wood though is split very small with very few larger pieces.

I am concerned that I won't have enough quality wood to get me through the winter. Does anyone know how long it takes wood (maple, cherry, yellow birch) to dry if it is stacked beside the woodstove? Say a piece that is 20"x4"x6". I also have a lot of red oak but my guess is that it would take forever to dry if left by the stove. I am obviously in need of some creative thinking to get through this winter. Has anyone with a PH tried to burn with more air than normal to try and make up for moisture in their wood? I would rather not do that but it would be helpful to know if I can make it work.

I've also considered purchasing wood but we all know the type of wood what we will probably end up with >>

Thanks!

I would take the stuff that is mid20% and mix it with the 1.5 cord of dry stuff to get through the winter. We are already 1/3 - 1/2 way through.

Creative? Here's some creative averaging for you: do a 50/50 mix of your wood @30% and some lumber/furniture/flooring @10% and your aggregate wood supply is now at a perfect 20%. (Explain this to your skeptical PH gently and patiently, so as not to arouse doubt and incomplete combustion, and tell him you are an economist).

In addition to mixing in the smaller seasoned splits of your friend (and any other dry scrap or branch wood), split your own 4"x6"ers into 2 or 3 pieces. I got through my first-year drought by scrounging pallets and very dry dead limbs rather than burning green wood.

Reactions: Badger
I dont know how effective it really was...But when i started burning a few yrs back I had nothig near quality wood and I ran a 20" box fan on high for a good chunk of the winter onto what little wood I had.. I didn't have a moisture meter then so can't compare numbers but it seems like it should work in theory...
Defitnitly agree with the posts about pallet wood and the like to mix.. Any friends that are wood workers? Being in NC there's got to be saw mills around..

Status
Not open for further replies.